Mac/Photoshop CS5: installed font, PS doesn't see it

I just installed a group of fonts (Gotham); Photoshop doesn’t see the new font (even after restarting my machine)

I see it in other programs (like MS Word…)

why doesn’t Photoshop see it? (when open a PSD file that contains text with that font it says that font is missing…)

mac 10.6.8, Photoshop CS5

thank you…

Hi,

How did you install the font. Did you drag it into the a font folder or did you double click on the font to install it?

Sometimes the naming structure is different - sometimes PS lists oddly named fonts at the bottom of the font list, not in alphabetical order like you would expect. This is particularly an issue if you have a large number of fonts. Sometimes they get listed by other characters in the file name too.

Did you install it through Font Book? That always works for me.

I copied it and pasted in HD/Library/Fonts/

(I had installed with FontBook but fonts don’t even appear HD/Library/Fonts/ dir if I do that…

so copied & pasted them (same as dragging…)

validated the fonts in FontBook, they were fine… (and I can see them MS Word…)

thank you…

Sometimes the naming structure is different - sometimes PS lists oddly named fonts at the bottom of the font list, not in alphabetical order like you would expect. This is particularly an issue if you have a large number of fonts. Sometimes they get listed by other characters in the file name too.

thank you for your response… it’s not about finding the new font on the list… as I mentioned in my OP, when I open a PSD file that contains text with that font it says that font is missing… and it shows exclamation points in the text layer icons… this means PS is not finding the font…

thank you…

sometimes that is simply because software can interface with the font software differently. It may not be the same for Fontbook but I’ve struck this problem with Adobe products not naming fonts the same as MS products. You might find for example that the bold of the font is listed separately in PS or it does/doesn’t contain a space in the name where as another program will read the space in the name. Because that space is or isn’t read means something like PS ‘sees’ it as a different font even though it is exactly the same. In this case it is just a matter of opening PS and directing it to the correct version of the font. Am guessing this isn’t ur problem though :slight_smile:

Show us a screenshot of the error box about the font name!
Actually the name of the font as it appears in that box should be exactly the same as its name in the font list of PS (what Slackr said).

screenshot:
http://mayacove.com/dev/font.gif
this is how the font looks in options palette on top of the screen…

now the fonts are called “Gotham”… font file structure:
http://mayacove.com/dev/gotham.gif
(what are fonts inside “GothamHTF” folder? they have no extension…)

thank you…

The square brackets around the font name in the screenshot mean that the font wasn’t found by PS!
Try to convert those GothamHTF fonts to be .otf!
You can use this converter: http://onlinefontconverter.com/
Then reinstall them on your system.

I copied it and pasted in HD/Library/Fonts/
That really isn’t the best way to install fonts in OSX, remember that UNIX involves permissions and bindings and not just file locations.