Magento or Shopify or WooCommerce

I’m wondering if anyone can give feedback about shoppingcarts. It seems the factors are how many products a store has and plans to grow into and the features they need. However, after doing much research, my mind is spinning and if it’s not a huge store - 20K SKUs to use Magento - they seem similar.

Shopify seems limited and I’m a bit skeptical about how much customization that can happen stability-wise and concerned about the security of WooCommerce since it’s on WP and some potential limitations (speed?, etc) .

Does anyone have feedback about this and/or favorite ecommerce platforms they can recommend?

It’s for redesigning and reconfiguring this website.

Thanks so much in advance.

I’ve used all 3 in the past and I’d go for Magento. The extensive plugins and fact that it’s E-commerce focused are the main reasons. Oh yeah, and its free. :slight_smile:

Woo Commerce is a pain in the butt when you need added functionality (their prices are obnoxious too) and it comes with a host of problems because you’re using E-commerce on a platform that wasn’t designed from the ground up for E-commerce.

Shopify is a subscription, hosted and severely limited in functionality compared to Magento and Woo. I regret trying any hosted E-commerce app.

Just my 2c. :slight_smile:

Appreciate it, Searchnetics. I didn’t realize WooCommerce was a pain. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. Hmm…

I’ve heard Magento was a ROYAL pain in the butt actually on the development side and the user side…you experience no?

Magento is a bit of a pain if you are completely new to it but once you wrap your head around how it works it is pretty straightforward.

Woo Commerce is fine for small sites (easier to start with than Magento) but again, the add-ons turn out to be expensive since you have to buy a plugin for every little thing you want done. They were really good until they started jacking up prices and ignoring their customers. Heck, they even limited licenses that were once unlimited.

For example, if you want table rate shipping and CSV import you’ll have to fork out $400 extra on Woo Commerce.

Ugh, I didn’t know that about all the costs associated with WooCommerce plugins. So Magento can do all the things that the current site can do? Can it also do this: http://www.finestationery.com/prod_customize.cfm?&smain_id=103919290&cm_thiscategory=0 - customize your design?

The design can be modified, sure.
Or are you talking about the Flash?

Thanks Mitt…huh?

We need to build this on a completely new eCommerce platform. It’s currently custom built in Symphony 1.0. It’s not updatable for the client and he wants to be able to update it himself hence Magento, WooCommerce, etc. Need to rebuild. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

My confusion confused you? :confused:

The site you last linked to had a Flash “leather book cover design” thing, so I didn’t know if you meant site/page design, of if Magento sites could use flash to interact with them.

Oh, not sure. Site in original message is the site we’re recreating. The other site was showing one of the features he wants.

Searchnetics, I’m curious…how do you know whether to use Magento paid or free and do they offer support to figure this out?

Just looked and I guess one of the factors is if you have 15k per year to spend on Enterprise…

Does anyone know about Open Cart?

Hey Scully, the free edition is more than enough for what you need. Not to mention they are essentially the same product at the core and the enterprise is basically the free edition + very technical plugins + support.

That’s about it.

A good comparison can be found here: http://commercesciences.com/articles/magento-enterprise-vs-magento-community (not affiliated with this site in any way)

Ah…thank you! I looked at the demo. Not sure if it’s for the free or Enterprise. Is the reporting/dashboard, etc the same or similar to this?

http://enterprise-admin.user.magentotrial.com/admin?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonu6nAZKXonjHpfsX57OgqW66%252BgIkz2EFye%252BLIHETpodcMTcJiPa%252BTFAwTG5toziV8R7PMK81lwtoQUxbl

Admin User Name: admin
Admin Password: 123123a

That’s the enterprise dashboard but basically the free is the same from what I can remember. I haven’t used it recently though so I may not be 100% right.

The Community Edition of Magento is free and open-sourced, but as has been pointed out in this thread, there isn’t any official support.

You can find licensed developers to help you out, and there are great forums and message boards with a lot of helpful information. But you’re definitely going to want to look into all the functionalities that you’ll want to be baking into your site; the more you add to Magento, the more complicated things can get, from what I’ve heard.

Worth looking into might be a couple of other hosted shopping cart platforms: 3dCart and Bigcommerce are two really popular out-of-the-box options. They’re paid and proprietary, but I’ve seen newer sellers create really nice-looking (and responsive, to boot!) storefronts using these platforms, and without a lot of coding or design experience at all.

Hope this helps!

I’d say go for Woocommerce. It’s easier to manage. Magento is great and more budget-friendly than woo, but the support sucks.

Magento offers great possibilities and flexibilities in making your desired eCommerce site. But if you go with Woo Commerce or WordPress, you would lose your efforts, because both these software don’t fulfill your requirements. So be careful in choosing the right one platform.

As the OP has not returned to this thread in over two months, I presume they’ve reached a decision.

Thread closed.