Magic quotes not disabled when passing variable via session

I am having a problem with magic quotes being disabled when passing and outputting a variable via a session (although magic_quotes are successfully disabled the rest of the time). I am using PHP Version 5.4.3.

Magicquotes (I’ve added the last line re. $_SESSION given that’s what the variable is being passed through, although it was not mentioned in Kevin Yank’s book):-

<?php
if (get_magic_quotes_gpc())
{
	function stripslashes_deep($value)
	{
		$value = is_array($value) ?
			array_map('stripslashes_deep', $value) :
			stripslashes($value);

return $value;
	}

$_POST = array_map('stripslashes_deep', $_POST);
	$_GET = array_map('stripslashes_deep', $_GET);
	$_COOKIE = array_map('stripslashes_deep', $_COOKIE);
	$_REQUEST = array_map('stripslashes_deep', $_REQUEST);
	$_SESSION = array_map('stripslashes_deep', $_SESSION);
}
?>

Controller ($attraction_name is entered into database so must first be sanitized) (excerpts):-

include_once $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/magicquotes.inc.php';

$attraction_name = mysqli_real_escape_string($link, $_POST['attraction_name']);

session_start();
$_SESSION['message'] = 'THIS ATTRACTION HAS BEEN EDITED:' . ' ' . $attraction_name;
header('Location:  . ');
exit();

Display page:-

<?php session_start(); if (isset($_SESSION['message'])) { echo $_SESSION['message']; unset($_SESSION['message']); } ?>

If the variable passed through is ‘St Paul’s Cathedral’, then it will output:-

THIS ATTRACTION HAS BEEN EDITED: St. Paul\’s Cathedral

I have also tried creating a variable (having first applied htmlspecialchars) specifically to be output as the session message and using that instead (also to no avail):-

$attraction_name_session = htmlspecialchars($attraction_name, ENT_QUOTES, ‘UTF-8’);

And passing the below (while it has none of the above problems) would leave it open to hackers given the attraction_name is to be input by users.

$_POST[‘attraction_name’];

Any ideas?

PHP 5.4 doesn’t even support magic quotes so all your code relating to them is unnecessary and should be removed.