Managed VPS and options in WHM

Looking for some insight from the gurus. I have three managed VPS systems all on WHM and all with 3 different providers. I’ve gotten used to the what I thought was the ‘normal’ WHM setup with various options at my disposal. The new VPS host I just signed up with offers ‘managed’ like the rest, but the options in WHM are severely limited. Their explanation is to not present root access or options for root level users. I"m a bit confused since my other two managed environments have what I’m now deducing to be root level options (or maybe they just have normal options and this new host is weird…?)

I understand hosts can do what they wish to managed their servers, I"m just scratching my head for reasons why this particular one would limit when others don’t. Just preference? I want to do things like manage IPs, hostnames, and basic configurations, etc.

Any insight to what’s normal would help. I’m just basing my ‘normative’ experience on the years with Servint and Myhosting.

I’ve seen both from Managed providers in the past, some that grant you root access and will step in to help if needs be. And others that don’t give root at all, jailing the user in a more controlled environment.

Its preference from the company how they go about managing the service.

Personally, if I’m “managing” a server for a client, then they get a user account rather than the root one. If they have a dedic / vps, then its up to them.

The problem for the host perspective is if the client goes and removes their SSH keys and changes the root password. It makes it impossible to pro-actively managed the said virtual or physical server.

We’ve found the best approach is to give the client the choice of full root, or a super user reseller type account.

Is there no in between? Is the super user reseller somewhere in between? Can the host not check off some existing features and ‘customize’ WHM based on need? I know these are easy questions but bear with me.

Yep - you can configure a lot of the available WHM options. Are there some that you’re missing?

Matt

Compared to what I’m used to and the current one yes. TOns.

There are inbetweens, yes, its up to the host to how they configure the permissions.

m.b,

You see mdrussell above, don’t you. Have a look at his signature - then know that I’ve got three accounts hosted by WebHostingBuzz and swear by WHB rather than at WHB.

Regards,

DK

It really depends on the policy of management plans in each vendor. I see many “managed” vendors, but they only do per-call. With that, you can have full root. However, with a real-fully managed vendor, I agree with above posts that customers might have user level account only, to prevent something wrong from their side, also, vendor can fix error whenever it’s happening, even before customers know about it.

Most probably hosting provider does not want you to have full access to avoid any basic changes in VPS.