Managing a clients expectations

Hello. I’m a new member and I’d like some help managing a client’s expectations.
I keep getting phone calls hourly about when I’ll be finished with the site. I’ve even given the client a project plan with the wbs listing each and every step and they’ve signed off. The constant calls are becoming annoying. What can I do?

Have you told the client that his calls are a problem? If so, what was his response?

does your, hopefully written, agreement with your client include dates for any specified project milestones and a delivery date for your project?

Yes, I’ve told the client that calls are a problem but the client calls anyway and my written agreement includes milestones and a delivery date for the project.

Tell the client that the project is on schedule, but his calls are cutting into the time you have allotted to work on his project and the extra time could possibly throw the project off schedule. Assure him that if you run into any snags you will advise him immediately. That should help, but try not to be blunt (like I have in this post). Stay friendly, but professional.

ok, but I can’t tell from your original post if the delivery date has passed yet.

@ Kalon. No the delivery date has not passed. @shyflower. Thanks for the info about he project is on schedule and calls cutting into time allotted to work on the project, especially the stay friendly, but professional. :slight_smile: Thanks everyone for your help…

Are you able to identify the caller with Caller ID before you pick up? If so, you could simply not answer the call and let it go to voicemail. Then call back when it’s convenient to you.

There is no need to be constantly available. Same applies with emails, too - it’s not necessarily a good idea to reply too promptly, even if it’s possible. People start to get used to it.

Paul

Gotta agree with Unit7285 on this one. The ugly truth is that you play a role in this micro-manager’s bug-a-boo behavior. Let the answering machine deal with him once in a while!

I agree. Thanks for the tip.

Ogian

ive run into this and if it becomes annoying i wont pick up the call.

i will then send a kind follow up email that you received his voice mail(s) but are super busy juggling a few few projects at once and the best way to contact you for the next week or two is via email.

annoying people need to be controlled or they will run rampant on you.