Marquee not working in Chrome and FF

Hello, Im basically a novice user and Im facing a problem regarding marquee on a php page. The server is running on LINUX
The marquee is displaying fine in IE but it simply doesn’t show anything in Chrome and FF.
I know that the script is written for IE only, which takes its content from an external php file. Can anyone please modify this code to work on Chrome and FF
I have tried using different scripts but i am having serious difficulties linking to the external php file, which is a must.
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

[I]<!–[if IE]>

<IE:Download ID=“marqueedata” STYLE=“behavior:url(#default#download)” />
<marquee id=“externalmarquee” direction=up scrollAmount=1 style=“width:210px;height:150px; background:; font-size:1; border:0px solid ; padding:3px” onMouseover=“this.scrollAmount=0” onMouseout=“this.scrollAmount=1” src=“/edit_news/news.php”>
</marquee>

<script language=“Javascript” type=“text/javascript”>

function downloaddata(){
marqueedata.startDownload(externalmarquee.src,displaydata)
}

function displaydata(data){
externalmarquee.innerHTML=data
}

if (document.all)
window.onload=downloaddata

<![endif]–>

</script>[/I]

I did it. Thanks any ways people. :smiley:
Mods please close the thread

<MARQUEE onmouseover=this.stop() onmouseout=this.start()
scrollAmount=1 direction=up width=“210” height=150>
<?php $fp = file(“news.php”);
for($i = 0; $i <sizeof($fp);$i++){
echo $fp[$i].“<BR>”;
} ?>
</MARQUEE>

Awesome! Now if you only read where you post your topics at, since this is about designing PHP apps, not “help solving my javascript problem” :slight_smile:

Marquee – I haven’t seen that in years.

That element is not valid HTML 4.x or later having been deprecated some time ago. This means that browsers may drop support for it in the future, your pages will not validate now, which forces the browser into quirks mode and may cause unpredictable layout bugs to crop up from browser to browser.

For the record, the tag was never part of a valid HTML spec, but an IE proprietary tag. That it works at all in any other browser surprises me a bit.

My advice would be to drop usage of the tag along with blink, under construction gifs and other gimmicks from the 90’s. Moving text is EXTREMELY distracting on a website and brings up major usability concerns, not to mention making the printing of the page difficult to impossible, depending on the amount of text in the marquee.

And as furicane noted - this is the wrong forum by quite a margin. This goes in the HTML forum or the javascript forum.

It is easy enough to fix Internet Explorer so that it treats the marquee tag the same way as other browsers do by adding a line to the CSS you attach to all web pages through the accessibility option.

Any marquee functionality should be done completely unobtrusively via an external JavaScript.

Also the code that you have still isn’t going to provide the marquee functionality in browsers other than IE. See http://javascript.about.com/library/blctmarquee1.htm for a version written in JavaScript that works across all modern browsers (without using that non-existent marquee tag).