Marquee?

I’m trying to style the san diego … marquee so that the image is always appearing in the bar (so that there is no time when there is nothing scrolling in the bar (when the 2 images pass, there is a long delay which I’m trying to get rid of)
http://fixmysite.us/jim/
Thanks…

Don’t do it man!! Stay away from the marquee!!

I want to ( tried to convince him) but I dont know what hes thinking (plus I have no vision, according to him) I know the site sux, but thats what he wants, he’ll just have to learn the hard way

Oh dear, not just one but multiple MARQUEE I do hope the visitors don’t have epilepsy or want to actually read the “other content” on the page.

Perhaps you have no “vision” (which is probably a good thing so you cannot see the hideous-scrolling messages) but he has “no common sense” are you sure you cannot make him repent?

Tell him it cannot be done; tell a white-lie…

Take a look at http://javascript.about.com/library/blcmarquee5.htm where I have a JavaScript that produces a continuous marquee of images where it is user friendly by providing a start/stop button.

That website is AWFUL, like 1990’s awful. I would tell your client that he’s employing YOU as the professional, therefore it makes sense for him to listen to the experienced person who knows their craft and is being paid to do what’s in his best interests. That or you could tell him that marquees are an accessibility hazard and he could be violating international disability laws by making use of them (when in doubt, scare bad practices out). :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps you can help convince your client by pointing out that users of some browsers can turn it off and that a JS option like what Stephen suggested is more accessible, friendlier and likely to work for a bigger portion of their audience.

I have marquee disabled in Firefox. Never mind telling the client that to do that you need to uncomment something in userContent.css in your FF profile folder… which is beyond most users’ know-how.

Ask him if he wants the site to look like this.

Max, that’s like the Tellitubbies stole control of Fox News and started making the headline counter go on maximum visibility :stuck_out_tongue:

I won’t say anything about Fox News’s content

Off Topic:

don’t get me started :smashy:

but I’m glad you recognized the issues in their design, both on their television broadcasts and on their various sites. Designs for the hyperactive, ADD/ADHD viewer who likes shiny swirly things that move a lot. But, in their defense, I have not noticed Fox Nation or Foxnews.com using the MARQUEE tag.

It is even easier to turn off in Opera since there is a single place to update that turns it off for all profiles.

It can also be turned off in Internet Explorer and Safari but there it is not quite as straightforward as in Opera or Firefox.

See http://www.felgall.com/marquee.htm for step by step instructions on how to disable the marquee tag in most browsers.

this guys such a dope, I finally convinced him not to use the marquee thing, but now he want the image to blink instead, what a piece of work…

Ask him how many millions of dollars he has put aside to pay epileptics when they take him to court for the blinking image having triggered a fit.

You can advise him that Netscape decided that they couldn’t afford it which is why they dropped their proprietary blink tag.

THAT was why it was dropped? Wow, thats interesting, never knew it costed them $.

Stephen: :tup:

Luke: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/tut17.html The page is from somewhere around 2001, your boss should like that. :slight_smile:

Wow! From Marquee to blinking text… Next it will be… drum-roll; constantly looping-audio. :lol:

The good news though with CSS ‘text-decoration: blink’ browsers are not required to support this value. Other than that keep chipping-away at him; you never know you might get somewhere “sensible” - and get him to back down from that too.

It’s also the main justification you can use to helpfully “guide” your client in the right direction of what will do his website the best good… he needs to remember that it’s not what looks good to him that matters, it’s what his visitors will think. If he’s the only person he wants to look at the site then fine, lather it up with flashing crap, but otherwise he needs to take your experience into account as to knowing what’s in the best interests of his potential clients. On that case it’s worth mentioning that the EU is (thankfully) going to pass laws to make it illegal for any website of commercial enterprise or government control to discriminate against the disabled… so if it’s just your personal site and it’s not making income you can be as obnoxious on the site as you like. But the second you start earning from the place, it’ll be a criminal act to discriminate against your customers on the basis of disability. I know a lot of people don’t like being told what they can and can’t do in web design… but this kind of legislation has been sorely needed for years and I’m glad there’s going to finally be some kind of justification for hiring a pro who knows what their doing and not some yahoo who’ll dump a pile of junk together and charge a few thousand bucks for it. This gives you some great foresight to work with your client to ensure their bad decisions won’t have legal ramifications and it gives you more power in respect to trying to stop these kind of bad designs making it out. :slight_smile:

Now now, if we’re going to rely on the disabled to use as our crutch of an argument against blinking things, remember WCAG pretty much says “avoid three-times-a-second or under 50Hz” http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20071211/seizure-does-not-violate.html

75Hz or higher is actually recommended, though it would defeat the point of flashing I believe.

Tht’s a higher frequency than most televisions use for flashing between the different static pictures they display to give the appearance of motion and so no one would see the blinking at that rate unless it changed its appearance on each blink.

A frequency of less than once every few seconds should be safe enough if you actually want people to see the blink. eg. on - one - two - three - off - one - two - three - on…