Math in the Query - Can I Do This?

Let me start off by saying that my SQL queries have been pretty simple since I started coding. When I say simple, I mean that I just select a bunch of information from static inputs. Now, I’ve come across a situation where I need to do a calculation within the query itself. Something like this:

SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Table.Rent <= ($Amount * Table.Rooms)

Rent is a column of the table and is a numeric value.
$Amount is an input provided by the user and is a numeric value.
Rooms is a column of the table and is an integer.

I guess I could first query the number of Rooms and do the math with some PHP code before I run a second query but that just seems like a lot of work. Anyway, if I can do math, what’s the syntax? Just need an example and I can go form there.

That’s a funny clip!!! :smiley:

yes you can

the syntax is pretty much exactly what you have shown

test it, and see :slight_smile:

Pretty much? I’ll throw some quotes in there and see. Guess my initial testing bombed out so I wasn’t sure if something like this was even possible. Now that I know there’s a light at the end of the tunnel I’ll get to work.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

quotes?

we ain’t got no quotes… we don’t need no quotes… i don’t have to show you any stinkin’ quotes!!

Rudy, where did this come from?! :rofl:

I think I managed to get it working. It’s amazing what happens when I spell the table name correctly!

treasure of the sierra madres with humphrey bogart

http://rudy.ca/badges.wmv (1M)

if this launches for you in windows media player, it should loop, and it gets pretty funny after it has repeated about a dozen times…

Guess that was a smidge before my time. :wink:

… still funny.