"meet industry standards"

Hi,

I am not really sure where to post this question, so thought I’d start here. I have an acquaintance that would like me to look at his site and possibly do a redesign. He is not really happy with it. When I asked him what he had in mind, he said:

“I would like a quick opinion on what we can do to make it meet industry standards”

Luckily he is in another state (we have been conversing via email) so he was unable to see the blank look on my face when he made that statement :-).

Ok, I don’t really know what he means by that, and instead of looking like a total putz, thought I’d ask here to see if anyone could tell me what it means to make the site “meet industry standards”. The company is an engineering company. If you are unable to answer this for me, then I guess I will go to him and ask HIM to clarify what he means. Was hoping someone here might be able to save me from this fate :-).

Thanks,
sarb

Hi,

It depends what he means by “meet industry standards” exactly.

It may have just been a turn of phrase meaning he wanted to bring it up to date using current methods and techniques. e.g. converting table layout into CSS layout and using semantic html structures and using css3 features for the more modern browsers. Usually clients hear a new buzzword (like html5) and just jump on the bandwagon without knowing what they are asking for.

Or, he may just want the site to validate against the [URL=“http://www.w3.org/standards/”]w3c standards.

Or he may want the site to be optimised for accessibility and then converted to a responsive design with emphasis on mobile devices.

You won’t really know until you ask him what he meant exactly :slight_smile: Of course you should have your answers ready for him based on all the above scenarios.