Member of the Month Awards

congrats to all previous MOTM’s. really nice idea.

And I’m a good example too (never been MOTM)

Some people wait a long time… like Kailash. I’m sure there are a lot of people who get the Motm thingie after being here for a pretty long time actually. Go through the list of past people and some of them had joined like years earlier.

Post 37 on

I am fine with waiting, if I actually do get it, but I know great members in this community took a very very long time to get it so I’m not expecting anything anytime soon :slight_smile:

Firstly, I personally don’t see why some people are moaning about the confusion this will cause. If you see a member with the MOTM badge in their profile, then you know that for some month in the current year they’ve received the MOTM award because of being a good contributing member to the forums, for whatever reason that was and in whichever month it was.

Also, if anyone is so bothered / fussed / confused / concerned about the current MOTM award then they should simply take a bit of common sense from their brain (trust me, everyone does have a tiny bit of common sense here and there) and go to the most recent MOTM award thread to see who has received the award, for what month they received it, the reason they received it (if any particular reason is given) and also to read the entertaining interviews. Then…BAM! You aren’t confused anymore! :smiley: At least, that’s what I do! But to each their own, as they say.

Secondly:

I think he was making a playful joke Ryan :stuck_out_tongue: and you aren’t a good example in regards to this particular quote because if you have a look at your lovely red badge, you’re a CSS Guru. So therefore, you’re the total opposite of a good example lol. Unless of course when JREAM said “badge” he literally meant a MOTM award badge and not any general badge. I figured he was also talking about the competing with the “guru masters” as the “CSS Guru”, “(x)HTML Guru”, etc awards too.

Personally I don’t see it as a matter of waiting for one or even expecting one, I see it as just being a general / ordinary member who is contributing to the forums success and helping themselves and others because they want to, not because in their mind they’re secretly waiting to be awarded the MOTM award.

Just because a person has been here for a long time doesn’t mean they should automatically get one because they’ve been a good contributing member over the years. The way I understand the system is that it is called a Member of the Month award because they have been a good contributing member for that particular month they were selected in. Therefore, (I think) you could be here for another 10 years and not receive a MOTM award simply because there’s never been a month when you’ve rised above anyone else to receive the award.

For the record Ryan, I wasn’t taking a bashing at you :stuck_out_tongue: or anyone else for that matter, I was just stating how I think it works and how it should work according to what has been posted in the past. And what you said was something I felt I needed to make a statement about to everyone. Unless I’m wrong in which case the moderators / staff should tell us whether receiving the MOTM award is based on how long you’ve been here for or the quality of your contribution for the respective month.

And for the record, I think this is a good idea and I don’t think it would create any confusion amongst the members that regularly check the News and Announcements forum. As with raena’s announcement regarding the signatures, I’ll quote myself:

Hmm. I don’t know about you guys and girls but I’m reading all these post replies about different ways of going about the same sticky situation - I don’t know how they (Moderators, Administrators, Staff, etc) went about it internally but clearly they’ve decided this method would be the best and they’ve just announced it.

I for one am happy that they went ahead and took action as soon as they possibly could. And if they did have discussions internally between the various staff then I also think that is the best way for such a policy as this one - The staff do a damn good job of keeping these forums in a good and healthy shape so I think we can be comfortable in the knowledge that they know what they’re doing and whatever they are doing is best for the forums.

To the future of SitePoint and I look forward to reading the next SitePoint MOTM award in March! :smiley:

Andrew Cooper

So what happens if nobody was particularly awesome during a particular month? It’s not like every month has some standout… that would be kinda creepy actually.

I would assume that it is the member who is the most awesome’ist during the said month. They were the member who contributed the most during that said month, so they deserve it.

And I -get- what you mean when you say not every month has a member who standouts (don’t know whether this has ever been the case, but it could happen) but to be honest we actually have a lot of brilliant people in these forums that make very good contributions each month in and out, members that have received the award previously and members that haven’t received the award yet so I doubt it should be such a big problem, there are only 12 months in the year afterall.

If some member has been a MOTM before, but is also the member who has contributed the most to the forum in the past month / current month then I don’t see why they shouldn’t receive the award again, they deserve it and that is what the MOTM award is about.

If a member received a MOTM award when someone else made a much larger contribution to the forum than them (but was previously a MOTM) then I think that would greatly impact the integrity of the award itself. At the same time, (as far as I know) the award is given at the descretion of the moderators and staff (they know best, they’re the ones giving the award out).

Andrew Cooper

Then perhaps we can award it to Fluffy.

He is the destroyer of worlds, after all.

:lol:

YA RLY. Fluffy needs some other badge. Long ago I asked for Laziest Member badge… so I don’t see a problem with a Destroyer Of Worlds badge. Would be awesome.

Raffles, if you want to nominate Fluffy in a particular month (and conduct the interview) I would be happy to second your nomination :wink: :lol: