Member of the Month - December 2009

Gary seems cool. I have just decided to get deeper into web site design. Previously I was only using some themes and randomly adding content. Now I have been working on developing real web properties.

Thanks Gary, for some of the tips offered in your interview.

Congrats Gary, and I can’t agree with this more:

First and foremost, learn to spell and write grammatically in your native language

and not just for web design!

I would prefer the javascript forum be grouped in web design.

Yeah, I’m another who agrees. It would be nice to have the front-end stuff grouped together. (Hmm, what about Flash? :eek: )

Client-Side Development would be ideal.
Like this:
http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

[ot]

Yeah, I’m another who agrees. It would be nice to have the front-end stuff grouped together. (Hmm, what about Flash? )

Yeah, esp since Flash is considered a Front-end skill AND they use Actionscript… but Flash is expected in the graphics section and I would expect people to look in Graphics for Flash-related stuff… tho yeah the scripting questions, Actionscript, would be a sub forum of Javascript.

I like the Client-Side idea except, how common is that term outside the pre-defined web design area? Do most newbs coming in know what Client-side means?[/ot]

O well, just call it Web Design then.

Congratulations Gary! You’re a great contributor to the forums and I’ve often ended up on your Workshop Website many of times for help! :slight_smile:

And agreed in regards to placing the JavaScript forum together somewhere with the HTML and CSS forums. Client-Side Web Development or Front-End Web Development, perhaps? Could have HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Web Design together?

All the best!

Andrew Cooper

XML and Web Services should technically be in the design section too if you ask me (I do agree with JavaScript being in design), after all most of the posts in there relate to stuff like RSS and Atom which are technically not much different than writing HTML (with just different tag names), there’s nothing programmatic about it (unless your using XSLT). But I would keep Flash as it is, it’s neither client or server-side, it can actively be engaged as both. :slight_smile:

Off Topic:

server-side flash??

Congratulations!

I too am retired (but not retirement age) and a full time caregiver. Nice to know of someone else that is in a similar boat.

You can use Flash to interact with the server-side in the same way that the Adobe store uses Flash in that manner, rather than just being a self contained system which relies on action-script alone you can make use of server-side scripting to go beyond the basic environment. I recommend this book (pretty interesting reading).

http://www.amazon.com/Server-Side-Flash-Scripts-Databases-Development/dp/0764535986

Congrats, Gary! Well deserved, indeed! :smiley:

[ot]

Actually, that makes 3 of us. My full time job is to take care of my Grandmother, who turns 91 next Sunday. :slight_smile: Anything I do with aspects of web design is strictly a hobby.[/ot]

Congratz Gary. Nicely done :award:

Congratulations from a novice at this sort of stuff into his send half-century! :slight_smile:

Congratulations Garry!!!

Congrats to Gary, didn’t know you guys had a member of the month going, kind of cool.