Member of the Month June 2014

I’m happy to announce that June has just arrived… and even happier to say that we have a brand new Member of the Month. That is, that special member that has been outstanding throughout the month helping all around the forums.

Mawburn is that member. Always polite, always helpful and quite busy in all the areas.

Congratulations, mawburn. It is great to have you around.

But we do want to know you a bit better so let’s go for the interview!

1. Some questions are a must and this is one of them: how did you find SPF and what made you stay?
Someone on Reddit (I can’t remember who) mentioned this site on a thread asking about active Web Dev communities. The community here seemed really friendly and very active, so I stayed.

2. Seems that you’re interested in many things and hang around all the forums even if programming seems to be closer to your heart… Do you think that we need to improve anything?
Nothing needs to be changed from what I can tell. I’m pretty stoked about the move to Discourse and excited to see the changes it will bring. I think that it will really open up a lot more conversation

3. Favorite database? And programming language (you know quite a few)?
don’t really have a favorite DB. I’ve been fiddling around with PostgreSQL a lot lately and I’ve really started to like it. It’s very robust.
My favorite programming language is probably Java. I find it’s syntax to be pretty straightforward, even though some of it’s application structures and frameworks are needlessly complicated. But the JVM is just so incredibly versatile and can be fit to fill almost any need or role. Add in the ability to have other languages that run on the JVM, like Scala or Groovy or CFML, and it’s just great. I wish it didn’t have the cold enterprise stigma that it’s obtained over the years. It’s a pretty amazing and versatile language.

4. What do you like most about web development? What do you hate most?
Web development for me is a dream. It allows me to be a problem solver and an express my creativity at the same time. I went to school for Computer Science and it was either that or Graphic Design. I liked both equally and CS paid better, so that’s what I chose. Luckily I fell into Web Dev as my first job out of school and I’ve spread my roots in the last few years. There is really no where in Software Development quite like Web Dev, where you’re able to express yourself artistically as well as able to build functioning programs that help people solve their problems. I just enjoy creating things. Turning nothing into something awesome.

What I hate most about Web Dev and Technology in general, is the Business and Politics that constantly try to hold them back.

5. What can you tell us about yourself? Any fav movies, books, food, place?
I’m a geek. I love Animated Sitcoms and cartoons. I’m obsessed with Futurama, Rick & Morty, and Adventure Time. I’m not really into Japanese Anime, but I do like some.

6. Do you prefer beach or mountain?
I’ve always grown up near water, so it feels wrong to live too far away from it. But I’m not really into the beach so much as just being near the water, also like hiking and camping too so it’s a toss up

7. Why is 2+2= fish, 3+3= eight, 7+7= triangle? And if that’s true… why have we always been told that 2+2 = 4?
Well, if you break it down, 2 + 2 = half a fish. Right?
So, if 4=2+2 then that’s four = two + two. Then fourtwotwo. If you fix the w by moving the extra lines down so that it’s a y, you’re left with fourtyotwo. Then you consume the extra o by using it in your next words which should be: “OH! I GET IT!” Then you’re left with Forty Two. Which as you should know, is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. So, therefore 2 + 2 = thanks for all the fish.

8. What’s the best counsel that you received? And the best piece of advice you gave?
“You can judge how well someone knows Javascript by how well they understand it’s variable scope.” I don’t remember who told me that, but it’s pretty true!
My best advice is probably to start slow and easy and don’t optimize things before you need to.

9. What’s the dream that you wished it was true today?
I’m not too big into video games anymore, but being in a real VR video games would be freaking amazing. I don’t mean like Oculus Rift so much as stuff like in the movie eXistenZ or the Matrix.

10. Is there anything else that you want to say that I didn’t ask? I don’t know… like your bank account details, username and password
No problem. I live at 123 Fake Street Nowhere, TX. and my credit card number is 1234567890123. The password to all my accounts is “pa$sw0rd” cause 6+ characters and using numbers + symbols is super secure

Note to self: Next time maybe I should ask for the bank account with positive balance. This one is in the red :stuck_out_tongue:

Congrats @mawburn ;, I really enjoyed the read, and great questions @molona ;

Congratulations, mawburn! You been making a great contribution to the forums. Please keep it up! (PS—wasn’t 42 the wrong answer? :shifty: )

Congratulations @mawburn and keep up with your great posts.

Here we go, the definitive answer to 42:

http://42.com/

Congratulations. And thanks to the both of you for an interesting interview.
By the way, don’t you need an uppercase letter for a really really really supersecure safe “pa$sw0Rd” ? :wink:

Congratulations on the well-deserved award mawburn!

Great interview, both questions and answers.

I always used “password” until pesky sites made me change. Now I have to use “pas$W0rd”.

Congratulations and keep up the good work.

However, I’m not best pleased you gave my password and address details away :slight_smile:

Congratulations, @mawburn, and very well deserved. :slight_smile:

Great interview, too, so kudos to you and @molona for that. :slight_smile: (She does have a way of bringing out the best in folk - like their bank account details…:shifty:)

Not that I got much out of it… It looks like I would have to pay in some cash to that account instead of taking some out :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks everyone!

DOH!

Maybe that’s why all my accounts were hacked a few hours ago… right around the time of this post. Thanks for pointing out the vulnerability! I changed them all to pas$w0Rd just to be safe.

Still no balance in that bank account. How am I buy my Ferrari now? You people don’t understand me! :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations, mawburn! , nice answer in all question, keep posting here we love to know your ideas, again thank you for sharing…

Congrats - we have not meet but I’ve always enjoyed the supportive community here at Sitepoint.

I’ll take that as a compliment (for us all, of course). Thank you

Great interview. It did miss one of the Most Important Questions Evar: how did the username come into being.

Rick & Morty

YES<uuuurp!>

I am also glad to hear it, let’s all to exchange experiences

It’s pieces of my real name combined to make something readable. lol

I liked how other’s had their names. Like TimBL, GabeN, Jeb, and quite a few other less popular Software Engineers.

“real handles” :slight_smile: where often it was their student or worker login on a machine that only allowed 8 characters :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, mine always get assigned and are bad. :frowning: