Membership-Based Website

I’m just wondering if anyone knows of any Secure Authentication Systems that includes the following:

1. Email Verification
  2. Member Group Assignment (allowing member to see certain things if they have permissions)
  3. Will run on 1and1.com servers

CG,

When looking for PHP classes, I rely on searching phpclasses.org and evaluating the many classes offered (free) albeit it may take some playing with several before finding the best fit.

As for your requirements:

1. 1and1 has a reputation as a terrible host with a severe lack of services (.htaccess, full cPanel, non-responsive or slow servic and the like if I recall correctly) so I’d advise finding a better host (I have multiple accounts with WebHostingBuzz and find that they are outstanding).

2. E-mail verification is simply a matter of using a two step registration: Sign-up online then respond to an e-mail generated by the server and sent ONE TIME to the registered e-mail address.

3. Member Group Assignment is a feature requiring moderation (like a forum). I’d developed such a feature for a club and it worked well … except for the President who believed it was his right to edit everything any of the committee chairmen did online - then wanted to retain that capability after his term expired (that’s the problem with volunteer organizations like this).

Other than the 1&1 comment, I’d recommend refining your requirements, i.e., determining whether you’re trying to build a forum (most forum apps I’ve seen are commercial apps), discussion group (MailMan seems a good option for this and is free) or something else.

Regards,

DK

WOW! Great advice and I’m starting to agree with you that 1and1.com blows, so I’ll probably look into webhostingbuzz and take it from there, boss isn’t too happy since sometimes some email doesn’t get through since we do the majority of our business with it. hmph, but thanks for the advice!

CG,

No problem. I know the guys at WHB do a fantastic job responding to my questions/requests and their CEO, Matt Russell, is frequently helping SitePoint members, too. IMHO, he’s the best in the business!

Regards,

DK