Menu NOT working on mobile wordpress site - Sorry if this is an old question

Hi all,

The website I am working on is:

http://www.rjmforestry.co.uk

I also am trying to have a staff intranet on the website which will be password protected.

http://www.rjmforestry.co.uk/livingthedream (password to login is Hottinger - nothing particularly secret on there though so feel fre to log in!)

I am having an issue with menus when I view this on a mobile phone. I can access the site just fine, but the menu button appears in the centre of the homepage, but when i click on it, nothing happens. The button appears to be “pressed” but no menus drop down.

I apologise if this is a common issue and I am just being a bit stupid but can someone offer me some kind of guidance as to how I can sort this problem out?

I have tried this with different phones - iphone, android etc. But still the same problem.

When I view this on my mac, the menus are working just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you

Claire

ps using the twentytwelve theme

Hi, Maybe it’s because of the slider. Try disable it and see.

I dont have a slider on the intranet (www.rjmforestry.co.uk/livingthedream) so dont think it’s going to be that. But will try it.

When the menu button is clicked, it is meant to trigger some JS that is obviously not working. Presumably it comes with the theme (though I can’t see which script it is). What did you do to the theme when you installed it? Did you delete or disable anything?

If you look at the twentytwelve demo site, there is a navigation.js script that has the code you need. See at the bottom of this page:

http://s1.wp.com/_static/??/wp-content/js/devicepx.js,/wp-content/themes/pub/twentytwelve/js/navigation.js?m=1354656609j

If you link that page to your site, the toggle button works again.

Thanks for your help every body. I disabled all themes and enables twentyeleven theme instead of twenty twelve. It works fine now. Conclusion… I messed with something I shouldn’t have done.

It’s probably worth me saying, I wouldn’t have messed with the script of a theme unless a plugin had talked me through making changes.

Ralph, thanks for your comment. I think you are offering a solution, but although embarrassing to own up to, the truth is I don’t understand what you are suggesting I do. I’d be more than willing to try this - but could you offer me idiot proof instructions?

I’m so fed up and I’m such a novice that i’m going to carry on with twentyelevn and play around with it to make it look how I want it to look.

I must have screwed up the theme or a plug in may have done it. I installed and activated a number of plug ins although I wasn’t actually using them.

For your info - if anyone is interested in investigating this further, the plug ins I had activated but wasn’t taking advantage of were:

Contact Form 7
Buddypress
Custom Community
Jquery Validation For Contact Form 7
Multisite User Managemen
vSlider
WPNewCarousels

Bleh. Onwards with the website… after this glass of wine and a few hours sleep me thinks.

Seriously, thanks for your help. I’m learning!

Claire

No, don’t worry about it. All I was doing is noting that with the original code, the button works, which you’ve found by going back to the original. What I suggested wasn’t a fix as such, but just a way of demonstrating that something was missing from your code.

Glad you are back up and running. :slight_smile:

When I first got interested in web design, I stumbled around in the dark for a while, then bit the bullet and did some study to get at least the foundations in place. That was very helpful. Now I stumble around in the light. :lol:

Very wise move re training. I’m considering booking some training. In the meantime, it’s great that I can ask for free of charge help from kind folk on this forum, whilst I continue to feel around in the dark! :slight_smile:

Thank you again, Ralph and Snecz.

Definitely. That’s what we are here for. :slight_smile: