CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `movies` (
  `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci;

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `chapters` (
  `mc_mov_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `mc_lang` char(2) CHARACTER SET latin1 NOT NULL,
  `mc_chapter_num` int(10) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`mc_mov_id`,`mc_chapter_num`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci;

The movies table holds the PK for a particular movie. The chapters.mc_mov_id is the FK. I’ve been going through the data and have noticed that there are a number of records in the chapters table with an mc_movie_id that doesn’t exist anymore in the movies table.

For instance
SELECT * FROM chapters WHERE mc_mov_id=698 - contains records.
SELECT * FROM movies WHERE id=698 - contains no records.

How do I delete the records from chapters that don’t have a corresponding record in the movies table?

like this –

DELETE FROM chapters
WHERE mc_mov_id NOT IN ( SELECT id FROM movies)

it should not matter how efficient this is, as presumably you’re only going to do this once – after that, you’re going to actually declare the foreign keys, right? (you’ll have to change the tables to InnoDB, though)

Excellent, worked like a charm.

Do all tables have to be InnoDB to add the FK? I tried

ALTER TABLE
chapters
ADD
FOREIGN KEY(mc_mov_id)
REFERENCES movies(id)

But received the MySQL Error Number 1005 Can’t create table ‘.\mydb\#sql-328_45.frm’ (errno: 150) message.

both tables have to be InnoDB, and both PK and FK columns must be the exact same datatype

I’m wondering about using InnoDB for this because these tables are going to be selected much more than inserted, deleted or updated. Plus, what about searching on InnoDB? I don’t think I’m using FULLTEXT right now (can’t remember) but if I want to in the future, I can’t with InnoDB, right?

Also, this is a busy site. Currently I’m receiving ‘too many connections’ warnings. Which then makes me concerned about RAM as well.

you’re right about FULLTEXT not working on InnoDB

but it sounds like you have many other problems to tackle first…