Mobile and Above The Fold

Does the concept of “Above The Fold” exist with responsive websites?

If it does exist, then if you start a block of content that is “above the fold” but then goes below it, is that enough to capture a reader’s interest?

@mikey_w

Does the concept of “Above The Fold” exist with responsive websites?

I searched just to confirm my beliefs and I was correct.

If it does exist, then if you start a block of content that is “above the fold” but then goes below it, is that enough to capture a reader’s interest?

If the content showing above the fold is of no interest to the user it is most likely your “Bounce-rate” will increase dramatically.

Yes, but how much “above the fold” is there? eg. if font is zoomed in how would one know?

I guess the trick is to show enough to evidence that the site does in fact provide whatever was searched for.

Maybe good headings that will say “Yes, this is what you’re looking for and it’s worth scrolling down!”

People will scroll and are used to scrolling (especially on mobile devices) but they won’t scroll if they are not sure they are on the right page. If you turn up at a page and all you see is a banner advert then chances are the user will go somewhere else.

You don’t need everything above the fold you just need enough to tell the visitor who you are, what you do and why they should stay.

There’s some good info in this article:

The information above the fold should attract attention. hold interest, and convince viewers to take action. The information should quickly communicate what the page is about and why visitors should say on it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.