Mobile Programming for Beginners?

I’m looking for any general information and books that will guide beginners on the subject of mobile development. For example, I primarily develop in web standards, PHP, JS and use a couple CMSs. Making the move to Objective-C is a jump although I’m familiar with basic concepts regarded classes and such.

Additionally, I’m not sure if I fully understand how or if mobile apps can be developed in HTML/CSS/JS. I’m out of the loop. My original impression was that apps for the iPhone and Android were clearly separate from the other languages I mentioned. I assumed that if you’re doing something in HTML/CSS/JS then you simply call it a website and put it online.

Can someone explain this to me and recommend any beginner books on the topic of Objective-C and iPhone development? Thanks in advance.

The Programming Team is currently putting together a Sticky thread ATM.

There is a lot you should get to know I guess, no offense intended.

If I’m correct?

Server-side code
Device support
Mark-Up design

A bit shy on Paper Books IMHO - but here’s from a very rough bunch of stuff. I’m guessing you’re more of a “fundamentals first” person, liking books. but sometimes it’s helpful to tear apart other code to see how it works :wink:

Mobile Web - W3C
Mobile Web Design - (by Cameron Moll)
Windows Phone Developer Tools RTW - Microsoft Download Center
iBBDemo2 - Cross Platform iPad and iPhone Simulator - Blackbaud labs
10 Ways to Create a Mobile Friendly WordPress Site - iphone-more-fun\
Quick Tip: HTML5 Video with a Fallback to Flash - Nettuts
HTML Video Example - Safari Reference Library
Mobile Web Design: Best Practices - Six Revisions
Opera Mobile emulator - Opera Developer Network
Mobile Emulators & Simulators: The Ultimate Guide - Mobile Web Programming
Rethinking the Mobile Web by Yiibu - slideshare
SitePoint
CSS > Media Queries - iPhone Vs iPhone 4
CSS > device specific stylesheet
Adapting an Interface for Touch Devices.
Designing for the Mobile Web

I understand mobile web design more than developing apps. This may not be the proper forum for questions on app development. What I don’t understand is the blurry area in between. I almost get the impression that some people create iPhone apps that are only HTML5/CSS and I’m confused by the nomenclature or details. Can you create in app like that and get in the app store? Developing in HTML/CSS3, etc is not necessarily an issue for me.

phonegap and appcelerator titanium will allow you to re-utilise existing web skills to produce native mobile apps that are cross platform.

I personally think that platform specific coding isn’t necessary unless you need very low level access for high performance applications like 3d games. Android phones are now outselling iphones and will continue to get even more market share, so the days of people equating a mobile app as an iphone app are on the way out. To use an analogy - would you create a website that is e.g firefox only, no ie no safari? There’s no need when you can write once and deploy to multiple platforms using a good framework.

I agree with you. This request is partly based on what I’ve been tasked to do at my job. However I think I have more clarity on developing for the iPhone. Do I have to use third party tools to leverage my existing web skills to create official apps? The goal here is to not create mobile optimized website but to create something with the appearance of an app available on the app store.

One way or another you’ll have to use a third party tool whether it’s a framework or the ios sdk.
The frameworks mentioned will create real apps, appcelerator has over 4000 apps in the store and is used by some of the biggest brands around.

Just remember, that you must have a mac to develop for iOS. Unless you want to only make an html5/css3 mobile site and host it online.

If you are looking to develop for iOS you will need to learn Objective-C or Cocoa.

If you are looking to develop for Android, then you will need to learn Java i think.

Try http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html and get started there.

Hope that will help you.

Very good topic!

This will be an important questions to many web developers within few years. As of right now, I still stand that focusing on HTML 5 for Web Mobile Application is the way to go. A lot of people assume you need to write native application for mobile devices but it’s NOT true (in most cases). Good thing about mobile browser is that they are updated quite frequently and most of HTML 5 capabilities are supported. As of right now, there is a specific JavaScript framework called Sencha Touch that focuses on writing mobile apps using HTML5/CSS/Javascript. It’s looking very very good. See this vid

Still, that does not mean Native Apps will go away! If you’re making any games or graphic intensive or hardware dependent app, then you must code in native languages. However, if you’re just making a enterprise business site like Amazon/Amex/online banking/etc… You can easily do this using HTML 5. At least this is my bet!

Oh! If you truly want your App to show on the phone then I’ll just code in native mobile language that simply launches a browser w/ specific URL. Voila~

Programming is not easy job. I have little experience about it. It require languages like java, html, php developing, CSS, C++ and all others.

If you want to learn all languages then go w3schools.com. Here all languages are available to learn.

Yea you right but it’s a challenging job. I am doing web developing job and http://w3schools.com/ is good site too.

Have you seen

Before you use w3schools as reference?

I’ve learned a lot at w3schools - @10 years ago !

At rare times I’ll still go there - but I treat it as “background” NOT “documentation”. I’ve learned enough over the years to know that a lot of things have chenged so I would never consider w3schools as being cutting edge.

Would I expect the .NET Mobile Tutorial to be up-to-date? Not on your life. Yet I think it still has some value as an overview as long as one doesn’t expect to copy/paste code and have it work.

Great info, for a cool topic. Mobile will definitely be a money maker in the future, still in it’s infant stages (and I don’t mean apps but actually marketing to mobile users).

I like to know that anybody have knowledge about the software that develop the mobile applications for Anorid and Java combine.

I’ve not read it myself, but it seems to pertain and gone unmentioned: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596807795

Cheers

T. Hill:
This following post have some relative information to develop Android Mobile application. Please read the article which may help you some way-

enjoy…

Hi,
I feel you can take guidance of mobile expert programmer, then you solved this problem.

I think you should read the book “Programming the Mobile Web” by "Maximiliano Firtman "

Except, that is a post that simply reiterates a press release about the release of a SDK for the honeycomb tablet platform. Not really relevant at all if you ask me.

Truly enlightening stuff.

Isn’t that what I said in my previous post?