Mobile Websites & Retina images

Hello,

Right now I am rebuilding a mobile website that will be catered to smartphones. I am trying to figure out the best way of serving up retina photos and I know the less images the better. Anyways, my question is I have most of them showing up as backgrounds within divs. I am using retina.js to swap the image for a higher res ones testing it on the iphone. Now at the bottom of the retinajs site it talks about using a less css mixin for backgrounds. I have tried to no avail to get this to work. I am also new to the less stylesheet so it could just be some type of configuration that I am missing which is why they aren’t being swapped. It only works if I actually insert the image into the div. I have looked all over for simple steps from the beginning to no avail. I guess the instructions there are vauge to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are using background images, you can do away with the js file altogether and just use @media rules like the one they give to serve up a different background image for retina devices:

#logo {
  background-image: url('/images/my_image.png');
}

@media all and ([COLOR="#FF0000"]-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5[/COLOR]) {
  #logo {
    background-image: url('/images/my_image@2x.png');
  }
}

IMHO, tools like LESS just make things more complicated than they need to be, but I admit I’m not very adventurous with such things, and prefer just good old fashioned, longhand CSS. :slight_smile:

Hi Ralph,
Thank you for your response, I agree that the less thing is just…that. Confusing. Just so I have it right, I would do this for every class or id using a background?

I just want to make sure I have this concept right.

So for example:

#logo {
}

@media all and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5) {
  #logo {
  }
}

#Background {
  background-image: url('/images/my_image2.png');
}

#Background{
    background-image: url('/images/my_image2@2x.png');
  }
} 

Yes, that looks fine, although I would probably group the rules like so:

#logo {
}

#Background {
  background-image: url('/images/my_image2.png');
}

#logo {
  }

#Background{
    background-image: url('/images/my_image2@2x.png');
  }
}

There was a thread last week about whether multiple @media rules might make for a slower page load, but no one really knew, so it probably doesn’t matter. But I prefer to group them in one place.

I was wondering the same thing but this is very helpful!!! Thanks so much, will give it a shot!

Another helpful article in relation to retina image use.