Modernizr, ugh!

Can anybody check and see why my modernizr script is not getting IE6-8 to recognize HTML5 elements in this site:

http://carrepairanaheim.com ?

I realize it may just be some very minor error ruining things but I haven’t found it myself yet. Thanks in advance.

If I were to take a guess, I’d say the endless wasteful scripting for nothing was probably what’s biting you – though my advice as always remains ignore that HTML 5 nonsense if you care about legacy support. Trying to use javascript to make such things work is just idiotic bloat and a waste of your time.

ESPECIALLY when you end up with 10k of markup for 2.3k of plaintext with a layout that has zero graceful degradation for CSS off, images off, or a combination of the two. Do yourself a huge favor, and go back to HTML 4.01 STRICT or XHTML 1.0 STRICT, instead of throwing yourself back to HTML 3.2 that just happens to have a lip-service 5 doctype on it. Given what a disastrously loose specification HTML 5 is, filled with idiotic and pointless new tags resulting in a throwback to the peak of the browser wars, the script should be called “ancientizer” instead.

Uh… LOL. :lol: I didn’t say I was done developing it.

And can you tell me which of the idiotic HTML5 tags I used? Is HEADER idiotic? Is NAV idiotic? Is FOOTER idiotic?

Well, you did just name the top three elements I consider pointless and in the case of header and nav, to be nothing but bloat :smiley:

LOL Maybe I’ll switch them to meaningless, non-semantic DIV tags, your highness, because clearly a tag that doesn’t describe the content inside of it is so much better than one that does. Or wait, I guess <DIV id=“header”> is infinitely more logical and somehow less bloated than HEADER. Because 17 characters is less bloated than 8 characters, right? Uh… are you sure you’re making sense here? I’m willing to listen to anyone’s logic but it has to be something substantially more convincing than, “Omigosh, HEADER, NAV and FOOTER are sooooo pointless!!! :rofl:” Give me a better argument than that and I’ll pay some attention. So far you’ve given me zero logic to work with but lots of derision. If you want to go on confusing the two then please go right ahead.

By the way, I’m following what your signature says and sprinkling doubt generously all over everything you’ve said, and you know what? It’s amazing how everything you’ve said just crumbles. Very fascinating to sit back and watch the crumbling process here.

Off Topic:

Try to keep it on topic guys rather than personally criticising each others website signatures… instead of the actual site that is having issues #1.

No, but H1 for the topmost HEADING is… not slapping pointless/unnecessary wrapping tags around things like lists and heading tags is.

You might be right on div#footer – but is the last bit of text after the last horizontal rule (aka change of topic) REALLY so hard to figure out might be the footer? Especially if you don’t put a heading in it since it’s not actually the start of a new subsection if there’s no other content? (though if you uncommented the address bit, THEN it would make sense to have a h2 there).

I mean really, is HTML 5 with all that scripting for nothing and browser-workarounds (the alpha transparency png fix is a bit of a head scratcher since there’s nothing that should need it) really such a massive improvement over say…

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html
	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
	lang="en"
	xml:lang="en"
><head>

<meta
	http-equiv="Content-Type"
	content="text/html; charset=utf-8"
/>

<meta
	http-equiv="Content-Language"
	content="en"
/>

<meta
	name="Description"
	content="714-395-5952 Call Car Repair Anaheim CA for an expert automotive repairs and service in the Anaheim CA area. A family owned and operated repair facility, run by a 30 years veteran in the auto repair industry."
/>

<meta
	name="Keywords"
	content="Car, Collision, Repair, Anaheim, Cypress, Huntington, Orange County"
/>

<link
	rel="shortcut icon"
	href="favicon.ico"
/>

<link
	rel="apple-touch-icon"
	href="/apple-touch-icon.png"
/>

<link
	type="text/css"
	rel="stylesheet"
	href="screen.css"
	media="screen,projection,tv"
/>

<title>
	Car Repair Anaheim
</title>

</head><body>

<div id="pageWrapper">

<h1>
		Car Repair Anaheim
	</h1>

<div class="locations">
		<h2>Two locations to serve you:</h2>
		<div>
			<h3>Huntington Beach</h3>
			714-465-5288
		</div><div>
			<h3>Cyrpus</h3>
			714-395-5957
		</div>
		<span><!-- image replacement --></span>
	<!-- .locations --></div>

<hr />

<ul id="mainMenu">
		<li><a href="/" title="Home Page">HOME</a></li>
		<li><a href="sitemap.php" title="Site Map">Site Map</a></li>
		<li>
			<a href="#">Domestic</a>
			<ul>
				<li><a href="chevy-electrical-repair-anaheim-chevy-check-engine-light-repairs.php">Chevy</a></li>
				<li><a href="ford-suspension-repair-anaheim-ford-escape-shocks-and-struts-repair-anaheim.php">Ford</a></li>
				<li><a href="gm-mechanic-anaheim-gm-savannah-repair-shop-anaheim.php">GM</a></li>
				<li><a href="jeep-electrical-repair-anaheim-jeep-check-engine-light-repairs.php">Jeep</a></li>
				<li><a href="cadillac-suspension-repair-anaheim-cadillac-sts-shocks-and-struts-repair-anaheim.php">Cadillac</a></li>
				<li><a href="buick-maintenance-anaheim-buick-service-anaheim.php">Buick</a></li>
				<li><a href="chrysler-oil-change-anaheim-chrysler-town-and-country-auto-mechanic-anaheim.php">Chrysler</a></li>
				<li><a href="dodge-transmission-repair-anaheim-dodge-caliber-timing-belt-repairs-anaheim.php">Dodge</a></li>
				<li><a href="gmc-brake-repair-anaheim-gmc-abs-brakes-anaheim.php">GMC</a></li>
			</ul>
		</li><li>
			<a href="#">Import</a>
			<ul>
				<li><a href="audi-brake-repair-anaheim-audi-abs-brakes-anaheim.php">Audi</a></li>
				<li><a href="acura-air-conditioning-repair-anaheim-acura-mdx-ac-repairs-anaheim.php">Acura</a></li>
				<li><a href="honda-maintenance-anaheim-honda-accord-service-anaheim.php">Honda</a></li>
				<li><a href="infiniti-oil-change-anaheim-infiniti-m30-auto-mechanic-anaheim.php">Infiniti</a></li>
				<li><a href="lexus-transmission-repair-anaheim-lexus-timing-belt-repairs-anaheim.php">Lexus</a></li>
				<li><a href="nissan-alignment-anaheim-nissan-cube-steering-repairs-anaheim.php">Nissan</a></li>
				<li><a href="toyota-tune-up-anaheim-toyota-lube-service-anaheim.php">Toyota</a></li>
				<li><a href="volkswagen-brake-repair-anaheim-volkswagen-abs-brakes-anaheim.php">Volkswagen</a></li>
				<li><a href="volvo-air-conditioning-repair-anaheim-volvo-s40-ac-repairs-anaheim.php">Volvo</a></li>
				<li><a href="scion-alignment-anaheim-scion-iq-steering-repairs-anaheim.php">Scion</a></li>
				<li><a href="saab-tune-up-anaheim-saab-lube-service-anaheim.php">Saab</a></li>
				<li><a href="subaru-mechanic-anaheim-subaru-tribeca-repair-shop-anaheim.php">Subaru</a></li>
				<li><a href="mazda-air-conditioning-repair-anaheim-mazda-tribute-ac-repairs-anaheim.php">Mazda</a></li>
			</ul>
		</li><li>
			<a href="/contact">Contact</span>
		</li>
	</ul>

<hr />

<p>
		714-395-5957 Car Repair Anaheim CA provides expert automotive repairs and service in the Anaheim CA area. Our services included a full spectrum of repairs for your new or pre-owned car, truck or SUV and hybrids. We are family owned and operated by a 30-year veteran in the field of vehicle repair and an AAA approved auto shop with high customer satisfaction ratings. Our technicians are ASE master certified and complete additional training so that we're as technologically advanced as the cars we work on. What these requirements mean to you is that our team can quickly diagnose or repair your vehicle, right the first time.  We stand behind our work with a satisfaction guarantee of 3-Years/36,000 Miles on many repairs, which is why our customers continue to trust us with their autos. We are conveniently open 6 days a week and devote our top tier team to Saturday appointments. Our services include but are not limited to:
	</p>

<ul>
		<li>AC Service</li>
		<li>alignments</li>
		<li>brake repair</li>
		<li>drivability</li>
		<li>electrical diagnoses and repairs</li>
		<li>engine tune-ups</li>
		<li>shock and struts replacement</li>
		<li>oil change</li>
		<li>tires</li>
		<li>suspension</li>
		<li>minor and major engine repairs</li>
		<li>clutch Repair and replacement</li>
		<li>check engine light diagnoses and repairs</li>
		<li>factory Scheduled maintenance</li>
		<li>emission repairs</li>
		<li>ABS brakes repairs</li>
		<li>Timing belt replacement</li>
		<li>transmission overhauls</li>
		<li>Radiator flushes or repairs</li>
		<li>A/C service</li>
		<li>Pre-Purchase inspections</li>
	</ul>

<p>
		In addition to the above services we offer complimentary loaner vehicles with major repairs and a hand car wash before you hit the road. There are a host of reasons for choosing Car Repair Anaheim CA which go beyond our honest and trustworthy staff. Free shuttle services to your home or office, pick up and delivery for your vehicles in the local area and a staff that goes the extra mile should be enough!  We have maintained the same location for over 25 years while gaining the loyalty of our customers and building our experience levels. Whether you need Audi transmission repair or Chevy brakes on your truck we are the local full service facility to call. When you are in the 92801, 92803, 92804, 92805, 92806, 92807, 92808, 92809, 92812, 92814, 92815, 92816, 92817, 92825, 92850, or 92899 areas, please make 714-395-5957 your first call for automotive peace of mind.
	</p>

<hr />

<div id="footer">
		CALL NOW FOR PROFESSIONAL AUTO REPAIR
	<!-- #footer --></div>

<!-- #pageWrapper --></div>

</body></html>

I don’t think so… 90% of the new tags don’t offer any benefits, and certainly not any benefits that aren’t completely pissed all over once you start trying to use javascript shiv’s to try and fix it for legacy browsers.

… and semantics should NOT be about slapping tags with meaning around tags that ALREADY HAVE MEANINGS like UL, H1, H2, P, HR, etc… etc… HEADER and NAV both seem to exist ENTIRELY just to placate the people who currently do nonsense like DIV#HEADER or DIV#NAV instead of applying styling directly to that UL or letting heading tags and content do their job! In other words, the people who didn’t embrace semantic markup in the first place…

Think about your problem – a DRAFT document style (draft means not for production use!) of a fat bloated specification offering no real tangible benefits that saddles you with more code bloat just from the scripting shiv (even on browsers that don’t run it thanks to the IE-CC’s) and it’s not working for you? The solution is right in front of you; Don’t use it and instead use what actually works JUST AS WELL.