Modify a MIT project, then publish it with a new name?

Is it allowed to modify a MIT project, then publish it with a new name?
Where should I give the credit as respect to the creator?

P.S. I want to modify Pimple DIC, add some features, then publish it on Github with a new name.

EDIT::
Quoting from http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/06/14/understanding-copyright-and-licenses/,

Both the MIT and BSD licenses give us complete freedom to copy, distribute and modify work for any purpose, provided that the original license and copyright notice are included. Derivative work can be released under another license or as proprietary software.

So, it means that it’s okay to give no credit? Is it okay to remove the license and give it a new license?
But, what if I want to give the credit? Should I just put it on README.md?

Interesting this was never answered.

The answer is yes, you can. But, I’d consider such action as incorrect OSS etiquette. I feel you should fork the repo and add your new features and ask for them to be added through a pull request. If the PR isn’t worked on (given a fair amount of time), then you can release your own fork, as you wish. That process isn’t written anywhere, but that is what I’d suggest to do.

Scott

To be fair there are plenty of forks of software that use the original and build on it. OpenOffice → LibreOffice, OpenSSL → LibreSSL, Gnome 2 → Cinnamon, Debian → Ubuntu, Ubuntu → Linux Mint, XFree86 → X.org. Sometimes the forks eventually gain more market share than the originals.

To play it safe you have to stick the word Libre in the project title of course :wink:

Yeah, I made an effort to be sure I was just pointing out my opinion of such a situation. There might be some stories behind those forks you mentioned too, which meant a fork had to happen. I don’t know. Still, if someone puts in a lot of work for something and you take it and re-market it as yours, even with the word “libre” :wink: , that just seems rather wrong to me.

Scott

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.