Multiple people using one twitter account

Hi Everyone,
For a project I’m working on, we’re setting up a twitter account so that people can “follow us” and get quick updates on our progress. I’m curious to hear how other groups make it work though. We’re not a “web based” company - we’re out in the field working throughout the day. We want to be able to “tweet” a few times a day each, but it seems twitter will only allow you to use one cell phone number to tweet from your mobile phone. So, only one of us can tweet while we’re on the road, and the rest of us can only do so when we get back to the office at the end of the day.

I find this to be pretty limiting… is anyone else in this position? How can we make the most of twitter without being limited to one phone or a traditional computer?

Maybe develop something which will send a message to the no registered with twitter and then direct that to twitter account…

I can’t talk technical, but i just got that idea.
hope it helps

Multiple people, one account? I thought twitter is suppose to be an individual thing. Like the CEO of a company tweeting on behalf of the company? Just curious. If it is allowed for multiple poeple to use same account, then you can be rest assured that a script will soon come up that will do the redirect that bamaboy suggested.

I can kind of see why you don’t want to each have an account, but one way around this would be.

1. Each of you have an account that you could post your updates to.
  2. Create a script that checks the twitter API every half hour and gets the tweets from all of the individual users and amalgamates them and reposts them to the central account.

This then allows each of the users to have an individual account, but it also allows you to mantain a level of individuality which is what twitter is really about (IMHO).

Is this the type of thing you would be after tedleonard? Feel free to chat with me on twitter @cmsadvantage.

Cheers,
Colin

We’ve actually been talking about this issue with a company here in town…
This has been my argument against doing this, and running individual accounts.

The plan was that person A would post and answer questions mon-tues, person B web-thurs ect… Running a schedule for who was maintain it. Well that breaks the rules of social networking and those who are replying to your account don’t really know who they are talking with.

I suggest each person have their own account, but brand it to the company
Like this is a local new station’s twitter accounts
@wibw (this main account, running feeds from their site)
@wibwjosh (camera guy)
@wibweric (camera guy)
they have a few more, but you get the idea

I spent a few minutes taking a look at this on google and found a couple of examples of how to do what I suggested earlier. i.e. Take multiple (personal) accounts and then amalgamate them into a company account.

Here is a link to an article on how someone else achieved it.

You could argue that there are more elegant ways of achieving this, but this is a nice non-technical way of doing it.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Colin

@ccburns
Thanks for providing more information. That this particular one is non-technical makes it a better option for some.

You could use something like http://ping.fm which allows you to send your updates to a particular number or email address and then it updates Twitter and any other social media sites you care to send your updates to. Great for handling multiple social media apps from one place.

Then all you need to do is give each person that number and/or email address :slight_smile:

Pretty sure it has that capability… but check it out for yourself :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the input! I’ll take a closer look at each when I get to work tonight and let you know what we come up with. :nanaman:

ineteresting thread…

maybe having many accounts at Hellotxt and every account sends updates to one same Twitter account.

Or have a webpage of your own showing the Twits form your specify users (you guys only)

Let me know if those 2 solutions works well.

Just have someone set up a single company Twitter account, then set up a TwitterMail account. Then, everyone you want to give access to post to your Twitter account simply adds the email address in their cell phone address book and sends an MMS message to it. It posts to Twitter…

No need for complicated solutions folks…

You could simply have everyone post in a format starting with their initials to keep track of who posted what, so readers would know. In your Twitter profile, identify each person tweeting. If Joe Tweeter posts…

JT I found a cool site: somecoolsite.com

So you lose 2 or 3 characters… It’s simple, effective. If you’re worried about the “What if an employee leaves and is angry and posts to the account?” sort of scenario, just create an email account on your company’s hosting account and give that to your employees to email their tweets to. Then, set up an email forward to the TwitterMail account. Instant access control…

Angry former employee? Disable their company email account. Set spam filters so that the forwarding account only accepts email from the addresses of active employees.

Simple is good. Hope that helps.

Oh, and of course, DO NOT violate any TOS that Twitter may have in place. Check that first.

Sean

PS: You can do the same thing with SMS and forwarding services, or any combination thereof. You could, for example, to avoid MMS and use SMS, set up an SMS forward to Twitter, or to TwitterMail or to your company hosted email which in turn forwards…

I have never heard about this, multiple people using single twitter account, but how do people address the issue of being caught due to use of a single account from different IPs.

I don’t think it is possible, or if ever it was true, I think it is not a good idea at all to use a single account with multiple user, and also I think it will be more beneficial if they get one account with a single user.