My chatting days are over! Are yours?

I discuss something with someone by E-mail.I think chat is not important.

Well to give an example I had an issue recently with the uk postal service, royal mail. Took me days to get any response and when it came it was abrupt to the point of rudeness, useless and didn’t even answer the question. I couldn’t even enter a further conversation because the response was from a no-reply address. Useless waste of time.

I searched to see of they had a twitter account: they did so, fired a query at them. They responded within an hour, and I actually entered a pleasant and constructive conversation with somebody that was keen to help.

Similar scenario recently also with a defective memory stick with a supposed lifetime gaurantee - obtuse and uncooperative response from the vendor, contacted through twitter however and they were willing to bend over backwards.

I use facebook to keep up with what friends are up to, and as a means of casual communication on the net for social purposes, both via messages and instant chat. I’ve a lot friends dispersed around the globe and it’s good to see their photos and what’s new. I only add people I genuinely know to keep the noise as low as possible.

I run the occasional nightclub event and facebook is great for promoting this sort of thing amongst people you know will be interested. I have an event on soon that has people travelling from other cities that would have been difficult to inform of the event without facebook’s capabilities.

Do you get a lot of spam tweets when you’re actively involved on the twitter chats? I know if I’m involved in a certain hashtag, a lot of spammers tend to tweet me about products not even worth tweeting me about.

Do you still have links to those twitts?

I have a Facebook page, but only because it seems just about everyone else has one. I don’t use Facebook for much else. The Twitter bug hasn’t bitten me yet. When I describe to my 17 year old nephew that mobile phones, sms, facebook, twitter and the like were science fiction when I was his age, his eyes light up with that “how did you survive” look :rolleyes:

:lol: - I find Twitter the same, it’s too broad ranging for me and generalised. I find it hard to connect with and I’m not one of those “you follow me and I’ll follow you” individuals - I follow those I’m interested in and what I find enjoyable to read but when you get these new followers it is indeed a tad bit creepy I must agree :shifty:

Forums & emails yes :tup: - I think there is more substance to this method of communication rather than IM-ing - I at least think so anyways. I think I just find it more enjoyable and worthwhile rather than real time nowadays! Skype…Hmm I must say, I do like this messenger, I never used to like it at all - I prefer to voice chat myself too - it’s more me than typing I guess.

Don’t get me started on SMS - I used send text messages alot aswell - that has also stopped just like the chatting :lol: but I think that’s primarilly down to all this txt talk shortcut stuff - I can’t abide by it, if someone sends me something with abbreviated text, they’ll never hear back from me :lol: it’s just obnoxious to me and overall I think it’s already having a negative affect on young people, their grammar is awol!

I agree, voice chat is my favourite form of communication online :tup: It’s just fun and friendly and you can really get to know someone really quickly - there’s personality that you can actually pick up on and instead of “lol”-ing you can actually laugh - nothing beats the old fashioned way IMO :slight_smile:

I must admit I am a late comer to twitter - but that’s attributed to a lack of interest, I knew what it was but it just wasn’t my thing. I gave it a go last year and at first I was into it as I was using it for my own blog tweets but soon enough it got to a point where I was wondering what the point was - sure I was getting hits from there but shrugs is that all it’s for? Sure, I followed people I was interested in following and hobbies I had, my favourite tech sites etc - but I then found I wasn’t even visiting those sites anymore because I was reading their tweets instead :nono: So that was it for me, I just simply check it when I remember now :confused2

Yeah, FB and all it’s mysteries - sigh - I don’t know, it’s a love hate relationship for me I think - Like twitter I also was a late comer to FB, I got addicted to the games but that soon wore off and I got bored with that (of course as I was beating everyone) :rolleyes: - but yeah, I think what bugs me most is that there are so many social networking sites now, you have to be on all of them really otherwise you’re missing out or something and that annoys me really - I’m the same as you with regard to the “illusion of privacy” - I like being in control of who I talk to and communicate with, whereas those sites are just too big and saturated with people it’s very off-putting :confused2

Yes ages do differ of course, perhaps it’s just me then, I’m just changing as a person and my interests are having to adapt to that - but I wonder if those who do tweet now that are of an older generation are new to the web in general and that’s why they are so much into twitter because it’s just a natural thing to get into now?

ICQ - well that’s a blast from the past - I remember “eh-oh” when you got a message or the “knock” on the door when a friend logged on :lol: - I used ICQ when I first started on the web wayyy back! I stopped using it when it got more spammy than anything else but I’ve no idea what it’s like now. It was actually quite nice overall though for an IM program.

Yeah Nuria, it’s the same for me - the thought of spending hours chatting nowadays would send me into a manic depression :lol: - jeeze, I just couldn’t do it! When I think back to all those hours of sitting at the computer chit chatting with friends and online gaming, scrabble, chess, poker and pool tournaments jeeze - I wonder how I did it :lol:

Yup~ it was fun during the teen years but the only time I’m chat is on Online Support Chat (Amazon for example). Still more convenient than calling or e-mailing.

I never was into chatting - most of the time people would just talk to me, and I’d just respond. Some chats can be productive, that’s why I still keep one instant messenger online. Granted there hasn’t been much activity lately. In general, it’s quite a time hog and I’ve always preferred non-real time communication like email or forums.

In Facebook, I sometimes log-in to play poker, otherwise there aren’t many productive things I can do.

Twitter is a fun little thing, though. I rarely tweet myself but I follow some interesting people who have interesting things to say. Most often it’s a link to an interesting blog post, news or something else. For instance, yesterday I’ve found kohoutek’s tweet about this cool program that renders the screen in “color blind” colors. Usually I’m too lazy to find these things myself and here you get them in a few seconds from people with similar interests to yours.

I also find work related tweets a good motivator.

I used to chat all the time, but I have stopped almost completely. It seems that people are getting stupider every year. With the passing of each year, the percentage of cliches, soundbites, misrepresentations, and other forms of nonsense grows, as well as the volume of the insistence that you do the same.

If you give relevant information or chain of reasoning, then either they pretend not to understand – at least, I like to think they are pretending so I can avoid the more depressing thought that they really are as stupid as they make themselves appear to be – or they reply with something like “TL;DR (too long; didn’t read)”, to which I always respond, “TS;WB (too stupid; won’t bother)”.

It has gotten to the point where chatting with people is not even an enjoyable waste of time. Nowadays, I stick to the places where some amount of intellectualism is expected.

Where would that be? I want to know where the non-stupider people hang out.

I don’t chat anymore. At least not in public settings and very rarely in private one-on-one scenarios. I have a couple of clients who will occasional Skype instant message me, but I’m not on AIM anymore and don’t frequent any other chat venues. Not sure it’s an age thing or chatting in general is starting to fall out of fashion.

I use skype a lot for work but I have made a conscious effort to CALL using skype NOT CHAT using text via skype. Try it! It means that things get sorted out a lot quicker and you can also see the person’s screen in realtime. I don’t like windows live messenger as the interface and functionality isn’t as good as skype. I know a few people who ONLY use windows live messenger, very annoying as you have to login to another account to speak to them and if you are in hotmail an annoying chat window comes up if they want to chat to you. HTHs

O-ow ! :eek:

ICQ, where was the time ! At least 11 years ago that I still used that program.

I agree with you Saul with regard to finding things fast via Twitter, even things you never thought you would be interested in that your friends post - it can be fun yes of course but do you use it to communicate about those tweets or is it just another way to surf the web? I find myself clicking away but not really communicating, unless it’s a book I’ve read or an article that’s just brilliant and I want to tweet the author or find out more etc - but more over it doesn’t really motivate me to chat more :sick:

:lol: I had to laugh reading this post! I tend to think like that too especially with some of the younger crowd I know, conversing struggles to the 2 minute mark nevermind that they’re texting nonstop while you’re talking to them and no doubt using SMS text abbreviations :x It is scary though when you think about it, how technology can stunt growth and personality :sick:

Yes exactly - I used to use MSN for a long time but since I’ve stopped chatting I only have Skype - I did happen to try the new MSN but I think it’s OTT and not as good as some of the older versions.

The thing with voice chatting on Skype is that not everyone who may be on your listing wants to voice chat, some prefer text based interaction so it’s sort of difficult to go exclusively to voice chatting only! :slight_smile:

I think it’s a symptom of getting older, other priorities take over

[FONT=“Georgia”]I started getting sick of being “connected” all the time.

My chatting days are done too.

[/FONT]

same here.
for me because I’m busy doing other things, these days i usually call to get immediate response.

I’ve never actually chatted. When I was way younger I’d post in the forums, it was better than have my replies “deleted” once the chat session was done. I can still find my “genius” posts years after, maybe that’s why I love forum posting.

I’d chat for minutes with my family, when I’m far from home or give a design client some tips to handle the site. We meet for few minutes on skype and do our talking. Otherwise, for me it’s a waste of time.

It all kind of reminding me of red heads how they change their mind a lot but get older and their hair really turns brown. So when you chat, you get tired of it because you getting older and maturer so you dont want to get talked at all day.