Mysql functions not working. Followed all installation instructions given in book

Hi!

I’m facing a problem here.

I bought ‘Build your own database driven website using PHP & MySQL’ yesterday.

I installed Apache, PHP & MySQL on Ubuntu, following the instructions given in the book.

However, when I include functions such as mysql_connect() or other mysql related functions in PHP files, they don’t work!

Even the following snippet of code didn’t work out -

<?php
$con = mysqli_connect("localhost","root",<my password>);
if (!$con)
  {
  echo "Try again";
  }
echo $con;

// some code
?> 

It didn’t give any output! There was a blank page!

Otherwise, PHP files are running accurately(which means even Apache is working fine).

MySQL is also running fine when I access it in the terminal.

However, I’m unable too run mysql functions.

I think I squandered my money on the book.

Please help me out!!!

Place the following at the top of your script, it should help you pinpoint the problem.

error_reporting(-1);
ini_set('display_errors', true);

You would have only squandered you money if you were not learning anything, as you don’t know how to get this working… :wink:

Make sure you run your text editor that you wrote the code in as administrator.

Thanx for your reply!!

I got the following error -

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in /var/www/try.php on line 4 

Looks like PHP hasn’t configured MySQL.
Moreover, phpMyAdmin says ‘MySQL extension is missing’ whereas MySQL is running. To ensure that I had followed the book correctly, I reinstalled everything.

Please help me out!

Maybe if I’m able to get the scripts running, my investment in the book won’t seem to be squandering :slight_smile:

Please help!

I’m not familiar with the books installation procedure, but have you tried…

sudo apt-get install php5-mysql

I have been doing that. Thanks anyway!

Thanx! Got the following error -

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /var/www/try.php on line 4 Could not connect: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Plzzz help!

I deleted the mysql directory & reinstalled mysql using

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

Things seem to be fine now. Thanks for your help!