Mysql issue with decimal

Hello,
I have two fields

• amount (decimal (11, 2))
  • gift_amount (decimal (11, 2))

When I do an update on either for a value equal to or below 999.99, it saves correctly.

However, if I go over that, then it drops the value right back to down 1 - 10.

Is this a known issue or am I going wrong using decimal?

Heres some PHP code of what I’m doing just to make it clearer (although I’m 100% its not the PHP’s fault.

if ($total_balance >= $cost) {

if ($this->user->balance->gift_amount > 0) {
				$total_to_be_paid 					= number_format($cost, 2) - number_format($this->user->balance->gift_amount, 2);//figure out how much is left after the gift total
				$this->user->balance->gift_amount 	-= number_format($cost, 2); //deduct from the gift balance
				$this->user->balance->gift_amount 	= (number_format($this->user->balance->gift_amount, 2) < 0) ? number_format(00.00, 2) : number_format($this->user->balance->gift_amount, 2); //if the gift balance went below 0, lets set it to 0

if ($total_to_be_paid > 0) {
					$this->user->balance->amount = number_format($this->user->balance->amount, 2) - number_format($total_to_be_paid, 2);
				}

} else {
				$this->user->balance->amount = number_format($this->user->balance->amount, 2) - number_format($cost, 2);
			}

if ($object = Model_ClipBought::create(array('clip_id' => $clip->id, 'user_id' => $this->user->id, 'currency_name' => $user_currency, 'cost' => $cost, 'downloads' => $clip->downloads, 'expires' => time() + ($clip->expires * 86400)))) {
				$this->user->balance->save();
				$download = new Model_Download(ROOT_PATH."/public/files/Clip/$clip->file_url");
				$download->execute();
			} else {
				throw new exception('We could not finish the purchase, this has been reported, sorry for the inconvenience.');
			}
		} else {
			throw new exception('You dont have enough money in your account todo this');
		}

exit;
	}

There is no SQL query/code in what you pasted

You should first verify that PHP is producing the query (with the amount) you want before you start debugging MySQL