MySQL not being recognized?

Thanks, I will (but I think I may have tried that before, based on info from another forum. I’ll try again though.)

I’m thinking I may be better off to go to php4, as there are no reported problems like this with the old version.

No no no, that’s kind of like saying “I’ll just run Windows 98”… it’s really not an option!

Which version of php did you install. Have you seen the corrections and typos page for the book:

• p.12 Installing PHP Although this book provides download and installation instructions for PHP 5.2, the newly-released (at the time of this writing) PHP 5.3 includes some new download options that aren’t covered in the book.
    There are four different versions of PHP 5.3. for Windows: VC6 Non Thread Safe, VC6 Thread Safe, VC9 Non Thread Safe, and VC9 Thread Safe. Talk about confusing!
    First of all, you definitely want a Thread Safe version of PHP. The Non Thread Safe versions are not suitable for use as a plugin for Apache.
    Secondly, assuming you will install (or have already installed) a version of the Apache HTTP Server from httpd.apache.org (see page 13), you will need the VC6 version of PHP.
    In short, to follow the instructions in this book, you need the VC6 Thread Safe version of PHP 5.3 for Windows.
  • p.138 2nd paragraph The first sentence should read “… by letting you insert special headers into the response sent to the browser.”
  • p.15 Step 2 As of PHP 5.3, the file you want to duplicate is called php.ini-development, not php.ini-dist.
  • p.17 code block 3 In PHP 5.3, the extension_dir line of php.ini-development is commented out by default, so you need to remove the semicolon from the beginning of the line when adding the directory information.
  • p.206 code listing Halfway down the page, the variable $jokeId is created with $jokeId = $row[0];. On the next line (after the comment), this variable is incorrectly referenced in the SQL DELETE statement as $jokeid (lowercase ‘i’). It should be $jokeId in both places.
  • p.42 2nd code block As of PHP 5.3, the file you want to duplicate is called php.ini-development, not php.ini-dist. So the last line of code should be:
    cp php.ini-development php.ini

Thanks so much for this info. I was not aware of any typos or corrections to the book.

I currently have php5.2.13, which I upgraded to recently in the hope that it would make a difference. It did not.

I will immediately this morning download the php5.3 version you suggest.

I don’t know what the terms “thread safe” or “non-thread safe” mean. It’s possible I have on both occassions downloaded the wrong version.

Thanks again. I’ll let you know the result.

Success! It works!

After answering your post, I immediately started download of suggested php5.3. Installed it, configured it, checked phpinfo() and there it was, the loaded php.ini file and all of the MySQL data that everyone said I should be seeing.

Only glitch was a typo in the session.save_path which threw me an error when trying to start phpMyAdmin (different error this time) telling me to check my PHP configuration. A quick Google pointed me to check the session.save_path, and sure enough, I had a typo there.

The only other thing I had to do was set the timezone, as it was throwing me an error on a date function I use on a Website I’m creating where I use the date functions to establish what day of the week it is for a “daily specials” menu.

It’s a great day in North East Ohio, and the sun is shinning, and the daffodils are beginning to bloom. Best of all, I’ve got my programs running, and I did it myself (with a little help from my friends at SitePoint)!

Dang, I think I’m becoming a “geek”, and I love it!

Thanks to all of you who contributed time to help and advise me. I’ll be on here often, perusing the threads, and probably other questions in the future.

By the way, I think SitePoint has the best books available at great prices for everything realated to Web development, CSS etc. Thanks for those. I wish I could thank the authors personally, Kevin Yank, Rachel Andrew and the rest.

Best Regards,
Bill O.
Kinsman, Ohio