Mysql Row Locking?

Hey SP,

I’m still quite new to Mysql, although I’ve worked with a lot I’ve never worked on a large scale site that could in theory of many interactions on the same table occurring simultaneously. As such, I’m curious what happens if two scripts execute at the same time and both want to modify table.

Could someone explain what might happen in these scenarios:

1. Script A wants to insert into table 1, Script B wants to insert into table 1
  2. Script A wants to insert into table 1, Script B wants to delete from table 1
  3. Script A wants to edit a record in table 1, Script B wants to delete the same record in table 1
  4. Script A wants to count records in table 1, Script B wants to delete or insert into table 1

I have a feeling I need some kind of mysql row locking or something but just wanted to make sure before I began researching. Thanks for your help guys.

Just to be clear, you are talking MySQL InnoDB and not MySQL MyISAM correct?

I’m using INNODB for my tables and engine yes.

Thanks, that’s crucial information

There are differences

One being that MyISAM does only full table locking

As I see it (and I’m no database guru by any means)
1 - might be no problem
2 - might be no problem
3 - Script B will have to “wait”
4 - might be no problem

Not very helpful I know.
The “mights” depend on whether or not it is the same row.

If it is, Script B will need to “wait”, if a different row it won’t.

The “wait” is most likely negligible. Is this theory or an actual pressing need?

Hopefully @r937 or @rpkamp will be willing to provide some insight?
I’d be interested to know at what ball-park figure of “hits” this should be of a major concern.

the only insight i’m able to offer is that mysql handles all the waits that might be necessary with aplomb

1 Like

You might want to look into the use of transactions. I know that MyISAM doesn’t support them and Innodb does support them, i don’t know about the other storage engines

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.