MySQL username and password

I’m a beginner, and I’m just starting to learn PHP and MySQL. I just installed XAMPP and after I start Apache and MySQL and I click on admin next to MySQL I get a page to access the database but it asks for a username and password. I never set one before. What can I do?

Thanks

The default username should be ‘root’ and I do not believe that there is a password.

If you want to change this browse to http://localhost/security/ while XAMPP is running.

Once you’ve logged into MySQL you should create a new “super-user” (one which you use for editing the structure of your databases, and can access all databases with all privilages) straight away. Once the new “super-user” is created and confirmed to work, the user “root” should be deleted.

For any app that needs access to its database, give it it’s own database user which will have privilages only for it’s own database, it should not have any rights to any other database. Depending on what the app is you might want to consider denying it rights to use either TRUNCATE or DROP on its own database or any tables in its own database