Need help adding Video to website

Based on some past failures with client’s websites, and with the realization that just having a nice HTML website isn’t enough, I want to learn how to add Audio and Video to my personal website.

But I have no clue of where to begin?!

It would be nice to add a couple of simple, yet professional looking videos to my website.

Specifically, I would like to do “Customer Testimonials”, because I think that would really help me to establish rapport and trust with potential customers. (In addition, having audio or videos would “spice things up” a bit too!)

Here is hoping that you don’t say, “Go buy $10,000 in video and editing equipment” or “Go hire a Hollywood producer”?! :eek:

On one hand, adding audio and video to my website will probably require A LOT of work, but then again, think of how many 14 year old kids out there get on nationwide TV and become rich and famous for the most obnoxious YouTube videos…

Can someone help get me started?

Sincerely,

Debbie

Go buy a cheap video camera (preferably digital), take your video, import onto your computer and edit with iMovie (should already be on your Mac), then click Share to upload it straight to YouTube. Then embed it into your web page. Easy. And cheap. :slight_smile:

If I give $20 Aussie dollars, will you do it for me?! :lol:

Back in the “old days”, websites had Flash (??) videos that would play when you visited the website. (I guess sites still do that with advertisements.)

Not sure if people will find that obnoxious or not?! :-/

I was thinking of interviewing a customer or prop person on a topic that relates to my business. For example, maybe there would be a 200px by 200px “video” of some female talking about how incorporating her business was a great idea. People would see the lady talking, and hopefully think, “Hmmm… let me turn on the sound and see what she is talking about?!”

Don’t you think that would make my website more interesting?

Debbie

Off Topic:

If you want to add video customer testimonials, certainly do it as cheaply as possible because, and no offence, personally I think unverifiable testimonials on any website are a waste of time.

Think about it - have you ever seen a bad testimonial on a website? And it’s nearly impossible to determine if the testimonials are genuine and truthful, let alone just “cash for comment”.

just my :twocents:

Like Max above, I don’t find testimonial vids very interesting. They are really ads, as they can say anything they like, and who wants to watch an ad? What I really do like on sites these days are intro videos that give a demo of the product being sold. These can be very handy, and are more engaging that a long series of paragraphs trying to do the same. There are some really nice ones out there. If you like, check out this one on the goodsie website (it’s the demo video, in the center down near the bottom of the home page, which seems a little silly to me, but o well …)

Add a capital K and I’ll think about it. :smiley:

Here are some samples that I found online which represent what I had in mind…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJJT6P-GxCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bESyfNfg7IQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwULLZA6Pv8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXE8lHhbC8s

Sincerely,

Debbie

Well, Ralph, if you sing, “My heart is beating like a jungle drum… JA BOM BA BOOM JA <whatever>”, I just might… :wink: :lol: :smiley:

Debbie

You could do all (or most) of that with iMovie, but they are using nice cameras (and camera work) there, so you will probably get much lesser quality with a cheaper camera and cheaper mics etc.

I know you are in Australia, Ralph, but how much do you think it would cost just to pay someone to do it for me?

I would only want like a 60-second interview/ad/testimonial.

Nothing too fancy… Just something that looks good, and shows how everyday people like my products and services. (I chose the videos above because most of them looked “organic” and “earthy” and a little more believable than something produced in Hollywood…)

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
Put yourself on the other side and envision what would be an interesting video relevant to what you’re selling. What would they want to see? Maybe a tutorial with slides and a voice over. That would be free. You can download free software if you don’t have a mac.

in that case a few hundred $$$ should get you something half decent - and that’s AUD, not USD which ain’t worth much nowadays :lol:

Those videos do look simple and earthy (especially the first) but that belies a lot of skill. The typical home job video looks pretty tacky and cheap, so doesn’t cut it for business, IMHO. I have no idea how much it would cost to have something like this done professionally, but I’d say a few thousand dollars at least.

That’s the problem, really: “It would be nice …” I’m tired of hearing “it would be nice” from clients. If you are running a business, “nice” doesn’t cut it. It needs to make you money, meaning that it’s worth putting money into it. I’m not being harsh here, just practical. If, in your judgement, having a video would bring in more revenue, then do it well … or “nicely” (ha ha).

It doesn’t sound nearly as good in a bass-baritone voice (mellifluous though it be … :slight_smile: )

Yes, I’m sure you could get something for a few hundred dollars, both in Australia and in the US. You might not get much editing thrown in, though, and I’m not sure the quality would be worth it. I know a guy who runs a pretty nice business, and he got someone (obviously on the cheap) to record him talking about what he does to go on his website. And it’s fine (hosted by YouTube and all), but I still feel it was just a bit too “home made”, and thus detracted from his site more than anything.

yeah, I guess it depends on high the bar is set when the criteria is “Nothing too fancy…” :). I was also assuming mate’s rates.

You are probably right.

The typical home job video looks pretty tacky and cheap, so doesn’t cut it for business, IMHO.

Again, you are probably right.

I have no idea how much it would cost to have something like this done professionally, but I’d say a few thousand dollars at least.

Sounds about right.

That’s the problem, really: “It would be nice …” I’m tired of hearing “it would be nice” from clients. If you are running a business, “nice” doesn’t cut it. It needs to make you money, meaning that it’s worth putting money into it. I’m not being harsh here, just practical. If, in your judgement, having a video would bring in more revenue, then do it well … or “nicely” (ha ha).

That is why I am here asking for expert advice…

Yes, I think offering strategically chosen videos and podcasts would make my business and website more 2.0 and 21st century.

Whether I can afford it or not remains to be seen?! (:

If I did pay someone to do it for me “professionally”, then how much work would I have on my end from a web design standpoint? (This goes back to my first thread about Video Formats on YouTube)

So what do you think direction I should go?

Stick with stellar HTML/CSS/Content-only? Delve into the netherworld of web video? Maybe focus more on audio (e.g. podcasts)?

How do you think that Video like I’m describing compares to well-done Audio as far as Return On Investment (ROI)?

It doesn’t sound nearly as good in a bass-baritone voice (mellifluous though it be … :slight_smile: )

Do you do Sha-na-na?! :slight_smile:

Debbie

Ah, but don’t get sucked into that line of thinking. The point is, would they make you money or not? That’s the only question to be asking. And we can’t answer that for you. It would require research of some kind … perhaps such as showing samples of text to people with and without a video and asking them if it influences them at all … but this can get complex (and expensive). It’s tough doing this sort of thing on a small budget. But I’m starting to find that, unless you can demonstrate clearly that you will make money from spending money, then don’t do it.

If I did pay someone to do it for me “professionally”, then how much work would I have on my end from a web design standpoint?

Not necessarily all that much. Of course, those people could put it on YouTube for you, in which case you’d have virtually no work to do at all. Or you could host it on your own site, which is quite easy. Ideally, the video person would supply the video in a range of formats … but even if they just gave you an .flv, that would cover most scenarios.

Do you do Sha-na-na?! :slight_smile:

No. (Or at least, I don’t think so, as I don’t know what it is.)

Don’t know?! If I did, I would be rich! :wink:

That’s the only question to be asking. And we can’t answer that for you. It would require research of some kind … perhaps such as showing samples of text to people with and without a video and asking them if it influences them at all … but this can get complex (and expensive). It’s tough doing this sort of thing on a small budget. But I’m starting to find that, unless you can demonstrate clearly that you will make money from spending money, then don’t do it.

Yes, I see your point.

Okay, Ralph, so play “customer” for me.

Let’s say there is some product or service out there that in which you are mildly interested. So you go check out the website… (The product or service shouldn’t really matter for our purposes, other than you are a prospective customer.)

Now, let’s say you could watch a 30 to 60-second video which describes “The Problem” and then shows how this company’s products/service offer “The Solution”.

How much more appealing would watching a video - that shows “The Problem” and offers “The Solution(s)” - be versus just reading about it in plain, boring text?

And what if it was the same scenario above, but this time Audio/Podcasts?

(In either case, there would always be Copy to back up the Video/Audio.)

With having “The TV Generation” out there, and now “The You Tube Generation” following behind it, I think that customers often get lazy and would rather sit there passively and watch (i.e. be told) about a product/service than have to actually take time to read and digest?! (Obviously there are lots of out there that have no problems reading up on things we might want to buy - doing the research - but those kinds of people may be more in the minority these days when most people view the world through a TV, Computer, or Cell Phone screen…)

With the advent of iPhones, it seems like offering Podcasts that people can listen to anytime, anywhere, might also be a powerful selling tool.

But I don’t know?!

Tell me what you think…

[ot]

No. (Or at least, I don’t think so, as I don’t know what it is.)

Well, I was referring to a 70’s TV show called “Sha Na Na” that had this quirky, deep-voiced guy called “Bowzer” on it. (Watching the old clips online, I’m embarrassed to even bring him up! Funny how time changes our “memories”?!)

Here is a “slice of Americana” that you might appreciate if you have a deep voice…

[INDENT]Sha Na Na - Bowzer doesn’t know the meaning of unlucky

Sha Na Na - Mr Bass Man

Johnny Cymbal - Mr. Bass Man (original)

Sha Na Na - Pretty Little Angel Eyes

Curtis Lee & The Halos - Pretty Little Angel Eyes (original)

[/INDENT](Here is hoping the Mods don’t mind me answering an off-topic question with some supporting links?!) :angel5:[/ot]

Thanks,

Debbie

As a general rule, it wouldn’t. Not to me. I hate watching website videos, because they’re almost universally a waste of time. Unless there is something very visual that can’t be described as easily as it can be demonstrated, I would much rather read about it and/or look at diagrams. I can read it at my own pace, I can go back and re-read it if it wasn’t clear or I can scan ahead if I’ve got it. It doesn’t interrupt any other audio/visual that I might have on at the time.

“Home-made” video for the web is usually dull and boring. About the only one that I choose to watch is Matt Cutts’ channel, because it’s very informative, but even that – even with all the power and resources of Google behind it – rarely gives any kind of information or point of interest that couldn’t be just as easily conveyed in illustrated text.

I’m not saying I’m a typical customer.

Okay. One vote against Audio/Video!

“Home-made” video for the web is usually dull and boring. About the only one that I choose to watch is Matt Cutts’ channel, because it’s very informative, but even that – even with all the power and resources of Google behind it – rarely gives any kind of information or point of interest that couldn’t be just as easily conveyed in illustrated text.

You may be right. But did you watch the videos I posted above in Post #6?

What did you think about those videos?

Did they look “home-made”? Or did they look “professional”?

Don’t you think - in those contexts - that hearing someone describe how they feel about a product/service in their own words is more powerful than just reading about it?

**Side Note: Key point that may be missing here is that I am more interested in doing interviews of people on Topic-X and getting their perspective, opinions, how they feel there is a real need for a _____, and how using my company helped them meet their goals. This is different than just someone doing a demo of a product or talking about the features of a product/service. In those cases, I agree 110% with you. But when it comes to getting customers’ perspectives - like in the links above - I personally think that adds another (beneficial) dimension…

I’m not saying I’m a typical customer.

Yet I value your opinion!

Thanks,

Debbie

My thoughts exactly - and put much more succinctly than I would have managed. :slight_smile: