Need help on people copying my content

Hi

While i was searching for drinks on google images and I saw my one whole blog post was copied. What should I do?

my own website link: post
copy Link: copy post

In most cases, the sites, especially those engaging in black hat SEO, won’t probably respond to your request to stop copying your posts. What you can do is report them to the search engines immediately.

Well said. As a writer, I truly take exception to the idea that “you’ll get a link back” is a good excuse to let it go by. I don’t think I would want to be linked with someone who is building a reputation as a thief.

thanks for the suggestions guys, no one has replied my e-mail from them and its been couple days.

If your e-mail sent to him is anything like your posts here, I doubt if I would reply back either.

Learn how to write.

thanks for the suggestions guys, no one has replied my e-mail from them and its been couple days.

Hmm, odd.
Seems shyflower is suggesting you in no way try to turn this to your advantage at all, and respond in a manner akin to the web version of the precursor to nuclear attack.

As I thought I clearly stated, ask for a link - beyond that ask for removal - be prepared to escalate if you feel the need (and shyflower has given you excellent instruction on how to drop a bomb).

At no point did I ever condone content theft, indeed if it really bugs you, do something, but

• be aware of how far you’re prepared to go.
  • don’t make empty threats - they will make you both seem and feel weak.
  • ask yourself if you work for you or your ego at every step along the way. Simple question - just ask yourself “why”?

My take: you needn’t manufacture troubles, they will find you. We all need battles - ask yourself if it’s a dragon or a windmill.
I think it has windmillish qualities, but that’s just my opinion.

Ridiculous junk brought to you by BLZ ©2010

I agree with Linda and MotionTech. In general, it’s not a bad thing if you can somehow benefit from it. More links to your site wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I’m actually not entirely sure why this upsets you.

The thing is, this is sort of a paradox.
Your content everywhere will drive down the value of it (just like the stock market).
The thing is, if it’s good content, it will get copied.

So it’s a question of do you want to turn yourself into a content cop? I think you likely have better things to do. You get the Google juice. Copies have a severely limited use anyway, they are substandard content.

If this really, really bothers you, maybe you should look into a Copyscape acc’t or something. Better than tediously checking the web for copies. Their Sentry will inform you when a copy is found, they have a scary “don’t copy” banner.

If you want, you could tell the site that copied your stuff “Link to the original or take it down”, but then you need to be ready to escalate this if they refuse.

Not to be too blunt, but look at what you could gain vs what you will lose.
You could gain a (Pyrrhic) victory.
You will lose more time and resources.

Yes, and you can also file a DMCA with their web host. I’ve done it several times and with very few exceptions, it has resulted in a “take down” of the site until the offending work is removed.

Thanks! I’ve to wait and see if they will remove it.

You may want to send the site a polite “cease and desist” letter/email to the effect of “I’m not sure if you know this, but your site contains material for which you do not have the copyright. I know, because I wrote it and did not authorize you to publish it. Please remove it immediately.”

If they don’t, of course, then you’ll need to threaten legal action…

I’ve been following this thread since it started in August, and (contrary to my usual urge to comment on everything I read) :slight_smile: I withheld my opinion. Fact is, I have been sitting here trying to think of an example in history or commerce of plagiarism actually benefiting the original author. Maybe it made the author more popular or well-known (as with quotes; though, obviously, those are [ideally] cited and credit is given), or increasing the business or value of the original author.

I’m still thinking. And I can’t come up with a single example.

Plagiarism is a crime, plain and simple, as well it should be.

If the stolen content is coming up in search results, I think one of the easiest things to do is use the “Give us feedback” link near the bottom of the results page to let Google know the results are polluted.

This ^ is the most ridiculous piece of junk I’ve ever read.

Copying an article without permission is plagiarism. It’s illegal. Case closed. No author should put up with having their property stolen. It isn’t okay because everybody does it. Truth is, honest people don’t.

To the op: NeoSocrates advice to you is correct.

If the offender doesn’t take it down within a reasonable length of time (I usually give them 72 hours), look up the domain at WhoIs and find their webhost. Check the host’s procedure for sending a DMCA claim and follow it. You can also file a DMCA claim with the major search engines. This will result in their pages being un-indexed from the search engines and if the web host is reputable (most of them are) the site will be suspended until the offending party removes your work.

Usually, when I file a DMCA I also send the hard copy (via email) to the web host to prove when the document was created. Hasn’t failed me yet.

Good luck.

You know, this is really a difficult situation. I agree with the friendly cease and desist. Another thing you can also do is contact their hosting service. Again, there is no guarantee there. Do a search in Google, there is a protection for online content but the process is complicated.

When I have found my articles copied online, I tried a few different approaches.

Twice, I was lucky to see that the links I had on my article (going to different pages of my site) were left intact, so I didn’t do anything as I was still kind of benefiting.

Other instance, I would send them an email or even leave a comment on the blog or site (this kind of ticks off the person running the show so it can be risky). I would usually give them one of three options.

1 – Remove the article from their website or blog now.
2 – Add in at the top of the page my name as the author as well as a link back to my website (main page).
3 – I would state that I was a paid web content writer and my going rate was X amount of dollars (hahah usually a lot more than I actually charged). Since I was the legal owner of the content, they had the option to do #1 or #2 or I would bill them for usage. While a lot of people did respond, everyone either went with option #1 or #2.

Hi,

Always have been and there will be those who want to succeed with the other people’s work. This is an unfortunate fact.

A beginner can do this either through ignorance or irresponsibility. In that case it may be enough a warning to stop.

As I see, this is an another case, if they didn’t respond so far. Perhaps, the person expects to get away with his theft withot any consequence.

I feel that OP need to take and follow the advice of NeoSocrates.

I agree. I’m fine without ‘benefits’ like that.

Best,

Sandor

If i didn’t know in the first place, I could careless, but since i found out then at least I’ve got to do something about it.

Just let it be…and produce more content…don’t waste your time with copiers everywhere on the net.

Copy a copyright to your article and then if someone steals legal action can be taken with Google Adsense and other things of this nature.