Need help regarding data safety on the cloud

I need to save some extremely confidential information related to my business. Can anyone please tell me some technique through which I can move my data on the cloud without compromising security?

Extremely confidential information ideally shouldn’t be put on any web hosting, cloud or otherwise. If you have to, make sure it has strong encryption before it leaves your computer to get uploaded.

So how can I encrypt my information? I do not have much knowledge regarding computer technology.

One-way hashing and a two-way handshake for verification/authentication should be a minimum, but if this is truly sensitive data you are way better off hiring a professional to secure it - it may seem like an annoying expense, but think of the crisis that would occur if the data got leaked and what that might cost you.

Thank you behati… I will do something like that

You can encrypt documents using something like aescrypt (http://www.aescrypt.com/). Once they have been encrypted you’ll need the password to be able to decrypt and read them

@eastcoast this seems to be helpful

My Web site got hacked into. My Web designer had to restore a backup and tighten security

Must have been a big big loss

What they did was to add tabs to their web sites

Means they marketed their website through your website?

For Such Important Documents, Cloud Storage is not so recommended unless and until you are sure about the Encryption Techniques and Methodologies used.

I have nothing confidential on my website.

For those who did not see the TechRepublic set of articles on hacking Dropbox (with DropSmack), please do so. While Dropbox does encrypt their data, it can be broken using DropSmack so the author recommends a strong encryption BEFORE uploading and getting re-encrypted by Dropbox (or any other cloud storage company). Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) used to be the de-facto go-to for public key encryption but apps like TrueCrypt seem to be in vogue today - places to start with to find your encryption application. If you’re not “encryption literate,” do NOT use a hashing algorithm as it is a one-way munging of your file which cannot be restored.

Regards,

DK

I agree with you