Need help with donation page

My client is wondering if there is a way to add something to her donation page that links to Paypal where the donator can add that this is in memory of someone. I told her that PayPal has an area where they can add instructions to the seller stating than that I can do? It would have to be a separate submit button that would send the form info to her email. Does that sound doable or can someone suggest something similar? Thanks.

Guess what I will do is add a quick form they can fill out saying who the donation is in memory or honor of with a separate submit button. The email would go to the client. I will keep the donate button that takes them to PayPal to make the donation.

You can actually add a couple of other form elements to a PayPal button, like a drop down list etc. In the PayPal setup page for a button there are options for (I think) two extra fields. Or you can just use some default code … such as:

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
    <div>
        <label>Is this in memory of someone?</label>
        <input type="hidden" name="on0" value="In memory of someone?">
        <select name="os0">
            <option value="no">No</option>
            <option value="one">Person One</option>
            <option value="two">Person Two</option>
            <option value="three">Person Three</option>
            <option value="four">Person Four</option>
        </select>
    </div>

<div class="submit">
        <input type="submit" value="Donate">
    </div>

<div>
        [I]PP hidden default code here[/I]
    </div>
</form>

I think there’s also a text box option.

Thanks for the help, Ralph. I spoke with my client and she wants a separate form that is not associated with PayPal. So I will go with my original thought and make a quick form that will be sent to her email saying who the donation is for. PayPal is great but does have its limitations. She originally wanted me to add something to the checkout page and I am not sure I can add anything to that. That is PayPal and their form.

No problem, it’s up to you. But I have been asked to set up PP payment buttons a few times, and these extra fields are quite handy. The site onwer gets an email from PP saying that a payment has been made, and indicating what other options were chosen—either from the drop down list with the button or a text input filed (if I remember rightly). It’s just nice to have the two things associated.

Since each donation is “in memory” of someone, is it safe to assume that the list of deceased people is known and limited?

If so you could make a page with a title like “Make a donation in memory of:” and then have a list of all the people below that. When a donor click’s the person’s name it takes them to a page specifically for that person with it’s own list of Paypal buttons in different denominations. When they click any of those buttons it is just like buying an item in an online store - meaning you would get an email telling you how much was donated for which memorial by what person. (Individually created buttons “know” that information)

This means the donors do not have to fill out any online forms (except for processing their credit card through Paypal). If your donors are older, they will greatly appreciate not having to fill out forms and you will probably see more donations.