Need help with WINE

There is an application I want to use, but it only runs on Windows and I have a MacBook.

The website says you can use their app with WINE, but the documentation is cryptic.

If I install WINE on my MacBook, is that all I need to download and install a .exe file, or do I also need Windows on my MacBook?

(The software is “Enterprise Architect” which is an Aussie company, so someone on SitePoint should be able to help me out!) :slight_smile:

TomTees

I once tried the trial version of Crossover (just for giggles) but found it didn’t run my Windoze apps as well as Wine did (on Linux).

That being said, I looked into installing Wine on a Mac for a friend and it’s not as easy as it is installing from the Ubuntu repos. If you’re comfortable in terminal, it shouldn’t be much of a problem for you though . . .

Yes, I’m afraid :slight_smile: You got me there :wink:

That easy. It is pretty straight forward. My only doubt is related to Wine installation but I suspect that it is the same than in Linux as both are Unix based.

Not answering this question. I’ll leave it to someone else (I think that the reasons should be obvious by now :slight_smile:

I have never found any major problem with any program, only minor annoyances with Word and Excel and not often. I used Microsoft Office and all Adobe products plus a few games.

Why don’t you install something like parallels? Ok, it is not free but it is cheap and you will have Windows running when you need it… no need to reboot the computer.

Anyway, answering your questions, I’ve never installed wine in a mac (only in Linux) but I’m pretty sure that it is the same… and no, you don’t need to install Windows. You install Wine and then the software you need to run, let’s say Photoshop for Windows. Wine will recognize the Windows install file and you’ll installing just as you would normally do on Windows.

The only difference is that to search for the start icon to open the program you’ll need to look under the Wine folder. That easy.

So Wine is more like a “driver”?

That doesn’t mean that there are not compatibility problems, and that may be your case. Or simply a few changes in your configuration can do the trick.

Do remember that while in Wine copy is Ctrl+C but if you want to paste in a Mac app should be CMD+V.

I used the menus just to be sure but doesn’t work.

I finally found a menu option to print/export as an image file (e.g. png, bmp) so that seems okay for now. But being a Mac user, I’ve gotten spoiled at being about to hit “Print” and PDF anything I want!

I just want a way that I can share my UML documents with others (e.g. Sharepoint forums).

Maybe it is a compatibility issue between Enterprise Architect and OpenOffice?! :-/ But you would think you could paste your UML elements into OpenOffice?!

In SuSE there was a similar problem with programs that were extrictly X11… so maybe Mac has the same issue

Could be.

I should contact them and complain about it.

Thanks for the help. I spent all of my afternoon screwing around with this topic, but at least I can now say I have Codeweaver’s CrossOver and Enterprise Architect under my belt!

BTW, how do you feel Codeweaver’s CrossOver ($$$) compares to Wine (free)??

TomTees

Wine is not a virtual enviroment or virtualization in any way, you should not be having this problem!

Wine is a compatibility layer, so things should work pretty much as if you were opening a old XP program in Vista using the compatibility mode.

That doesn’t mean that there are not compatibility problems, and that may be your case. Or simply a few changes in your configuration can do the trick.

Do remember that while in Wine copy is Ctrl+C but if you want to paste in a Mac app should be CMD+V.

In SuSE there was a similar problem with programs that were extrictly X11… so maybe Mac has the same issue

Molona,

Well, I was able to successfully install the trial versions of Codeweaver’s Crossover and Enterprise Architect as well.

Now I have this problem…

When I create a UML diagram in Enterprise Architect and try to “copy and paste” it into OpenOffice in OS X it doesn’t work?! :frowning:

At first I thought that my version of EA was dumbed up. But now I think it is an issue of OS X not being able to see the Codeweaver Crossover environment. (Just like you probably can’t copy and paste between virtual shares in VMware.)

Is there a way that I can get data from EA in the virtual Windows environment back into the OS X environment?? (If I can’t do that, then EA is useless to me since I won’t be able to print out, paste, or e-mail any of my work…)

TomTees

Parallels is like VMWare, right?

If so, I’d have to go buy Parallels and Windows…

Anyway, answering your questions, I’ve never installed wine in a mac (only in Linux) but I’m pretty sure that it is the same… and no, you don’t need to install Windows. You install Wine and then the software you need to run, let’s say Photoshop for Windows. Wine will recognize the Windows install file and you’ll installing just as you would normally do on Windows.

It’s that easy, huh?

The only difference is that to search for the start icon to open the program you’ll need to look under the Wine folder. That easy.

Okay.

Have you (or anyone else) used WINE on a Mac?

What kind of success have you had, Molona, on Linux with other applications?

What applications have you successfully ported over to Linux?

What applications have you NOT successfully ported over to Linux?

I want to use “Enterprise Architect” mainly, but could probably think of a few more apps as well.

Thanks,

Tom Tees