Need Name Ideas? Name My Thingy is here!

As Mark already pointed out:

Stephen, we don’t have a process for that yet. This is our prototype. If the service proves to be a hit, we’ll implement payments like we have at 99designs.com, where we take care of collecting and holding the prize money while the contest runs, and then pay it out to the winner at the end. One step at a time. It all depends if the community get behind it.

Baby steps!

Obviously SitePoint will have a record of all the suggested names along with who suggested them and who had requested the suggestions in the first place. Should the person decide to use one of the suggestions without paying then that audit trail would make it easy for the person who made the suggestion to be able to prove they made it.

So someone gets a perfect suggestion for their site but claims they didn’t get any usable ones. A few months later they launch using the stolen name. A year or two down the track when they are raking in millions with their perfect name the person who thought up the name sues for a share of the profits. It would have been much cheaper to have paid for the name in the first place than to wear the cost of subsequent legal action and losing the case due to all the evidence that SitePoint holds.

[FONT=“Georgia”]Must… resist… dirty… joke…

[/FONT]

I recommend adding a check-box if the name must currently be available as a .com.

You can use a name that may be taken as .com but add, inc or llc. Or a shorter version or a longer version.

Hi,

Did mbrown122 pay out $50 for the first comp they ran? Now running an identical comp for another $50.

Looks like a scam.

Will winning names be published, so we can see who won? None have done this so far.

Also, I just tested it by entering a name for a closed comp. Interface needs a bit more work to prevent this happening.

As all entries are secret - if winner’s name is posted by comp holder - they could just put any name up there. There is no way of verifying it is true.

This will not work like this. We have no idea who won a contest. It’s is only good for the contest holder to harvest ideas for free.

Why not make a “name my thingy” category on 99designs where all contest are blind and with money back guarantee. Lot of people asking for names and taglines to be made up already.

Cheers and happy new year!
afterglow

Awesome Idea . Looking it up . I have helped create quite a lot of brand and product names , I might do good here :wink:

I think we shall have a lot of problems up there . Doubtful payments and manipulated answers … Mods do something about it .

The forum moderators are not NameMyThingy moderators; your questions should be directed to marketplace support.

Ummmm… Shane Tilley works for Sitepoint and he said on the blog “We’re often asked on 99designs, SitePoint, and Flippa.com: “Can you help me run a contest to name my thingy?” Well, now we can!”

When I asked the same question to the blog in the comments box as below it was deleted by the editor:

Don’t want to rain on your parade - I just want to know what name won the contest and that the contest winners were paid.

The moderators of THIS specific forum may not be responsible but this is all Sitepoint. Passing the buck just further lessens the integrity of the whole idea - IMO.

ha this is an excellent idea. Just taken a look and I’m amazed at how many people are willing to pay for a name for their site already. very cool.

I understand that you feel that way, and it’s a perfectly reasonable thing to ask. It’s important feedback and I thank you for it!

However, it’s not really buck-passing to ask you to please direct any questions about specific contests through official support channels – the people who watch the Marketplace support queue are the people who have the ability and knowledge to answer those questions correctly. And I’m sure you can understand that it doesn’t do to discuss any disputes about specific contests on our blogs. Specific contests shouldn’t be discussed in this thread, either.

The general suggestion, however, about how to announce winners and so on is definitely important, and if you have any other general suggestions or concerns about the service, please feel free to share them here. :slight_smile:

Hello!

I was just forced to re-post my earlier request for a name idea. I did not realize that my post would be completed deleted after the 5 days! I assumed I would be able to at least access my post so that I could provide a payment, but the truth was I had to choose within the 5 days allotted.

It would be MUST better if one’s post could be visible for 5 days, but then “locked” so that it can at least be read by the original author and so that the author may have time to pay. Even if it’s just for another week. Otherwise, you don’t really get a full 5 days to decide, you get less, and if you miss by a minute, you’re out of luck.

Any thoughts? I hope my original name suggestor will see my second post.

Oops… well after that ranting and raving I realized that I can access my expired post in My Account. I’m not sure if this is new or if it’s been there all along (more likely). Sorry about that!! :slight_smile:

Sounds cool, but looks like no one is using it. You guys should definitely do something to revive the sitepoint marketplace.