Need to understand the roots rethles theme

posted on wordpress.org as well, but was advised it might not be the right place for it.
Would appreciate all the tips and advice you folks might want to share especially if you used this theme.
Still a bit confused as this is not the regular wp that I was just getting used to (and new to as well).

1. if the style.css is blank why is it even there?
  2. just add any addy css to the css in the assets folder?
  3. I just got used to creating a home page. call it home.php. then going to the wp-admin. creating an empty home page and using the home.php as the template. do I now do the same but use a revised base.php as the template?
    4.Any good videos tutorials that can get me up to speed w/this theme?

thank you all
d

It typically contains version information and metadata about the theme. Take a look at the style.css file in some of the wordpress default themes.

1. just add any addy css to the css in the assets folder?

You usually have to include it in your theme’s header.php file. Since I’m not sure how your particular theme is written, you might have to investigate this on your own or ask the theme’s developer.

1. I just got used to creating a home page. call it home.php. then going to the wp-admin. creating an empty home page and using the home.php as the template. do I now do the same but use a revised base.php as the template?

I have no idea what you’re trying to accomplish. Can you elaborate? Also, here’s the official list of template pages and what each one is for:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development#Template_Files_List

4.Any good videos tutorials that can get me up to speed w/this theme?

You’ll have to google for them on your own, but it’s not likely that you’ll find something specific to the theme you’re using.

Overall, it’s difficult working with someone else’s code. I would encourage you to play around with the default wordpress themes until you get a feel for how wordpress themes work. Then you would be able to see what features are built-in and which were added by the theme’s developer.

it’s so funny, i just downloaded this theme yesterday to test it… it’s a theme for developers but as Force Flow said and i agree with :

Overall, it’s difficult working with someone else’s code. I would encourage you to play around with the default wordpress themes until you get a feel for how wordpress themes work. Then you would be able to see what features are built-in and which were added by the theme’s developer.

So in my case i let down and i switched to the Simple Responsive WP theme for developers and i feel so good with… easy to work inside and with a Child theme setup it’s even more fun :slight_smile:

Goodluck