Neeed help with ASP.NET 4 Website book first exercise!

I just got the Sitepoint book ASP.NET 4 Website using C# & VB. I’ve (hopefully) downloaded and installed all of the necessary software. I’m trying to do the very first exercise that basically says Hello There! and prints the time. I’m executing from Visual Studio, but I’m not getting the time…as if the web server is not processing it. Is there any settings I can check, or what can I do to get the time to print out from my new first asp.Net file? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

David

Did you install IIS? Put the files into inetpub (or virtual folder) if you are accessing from browser (Not VS)?

Thanks for your answer. I thought I have installed IIS. I have an IIS folder that contains other folders – which was installed through VS by clicking the “Install Web Components” button. But when I look in the IIS folder, I do not see an executable file. Should that be in the root IIS folder, or would it be in one of it’s subfolders? Anyway, after installing those files, I still don’t have the time displayed when I hit F5 in VS. I can’t believe I can’t even get past the first exercise!!! This is very depressing. I hope someone can help me figure this out…Thanks, David

When asking such questions, always post your code. This helps finding the answer quickly and gurus can also show you how to do stuff better.

Yes posting the code would definitely be a good start. As far as I know you do not need to have IIS installed, since Visual Studio generates a Development Webserver that renders your pages when you preview your site (Ctrl + F5), in VS2010 anyway.

Are you sure you created the “right” kind of project in Visual Studio - a Web ASP.NET with the correct language you are using? C# / VB