.net mvc cms?

Hey guys,

I’ve been researching over the past two days to solve this problem, does anybody know of a decent MVC CMS? So far all I have found are Web Forms.

Thanks

Not sure if they are decent, but Orchard and N2 are both MVC at this point. Might be some interesting stuff coming out running on ravendb but I haven’t seen a clear winner yet.

I should add I have never found a non bespoke CMS decent but I’m perhaps a lunatic on that front.

In my opinion, the only decent CMS is the one you write yourself. Just the features you want, with no inactive fluff.

I’ll check out Orchard and N2, thanks for that. Damn shame their aren’t more MVC CMS’s out there. It’s not like MVC is brand-spanking new.

@SerenaRules

Yeah, in the end it looks like that is what I am going to do. Just trying to make things more streamlined and effecent. But hey, I get to practice on being an Architect.

Can’t wait for MVC 4!

MVC is pretty brand spanking new as web frameworks go – 1.0 isn’t even 2 years old. Combine that with the fact that generic CMS isn’t really a sexy problem and a problem most people are fobbing off on drupal / wordpress and you don’t see much felt need to do a MVC-based CMS.

Here I thought it’s been around since '08, good to know. Yeah, I can see how a MVC Framework isn’t sexy, which is why I can’t find s**t. Well, if no one felt a need to build a MVC CMS, I guess it’s time for a first one (excluding the ones you mentioned.

Truth be told, I’m not even sure I need a CMS. Here is what I am doing, I’m starting a Financial Content Membership website. So, my question is, just for strictly paid membership subscription site, would I need a CMS?

I guess it comes done to personal preference, but open for suggestions on building a website (With CMS + Membership Subscription), or with the Subscription Software alone? Again, subjective.

Though not completely production ready, umbraco 5 is MVC based, and 4.x is a solid product, so I would venture that v5 will be pretty solid as well.

Concept and CTPs have been about since late 2007 but the 1.0 release was in 2009. See wikipedia for a complete list.

Knowing that, and remembering that big, open source cms are largely infrastructure driven so add six months to a year to get hosts regularly installing it. Add that 1.0 was really not that good without doing lots of work – we’ve got a few big 1.0 based apps that are perhaps 50% infrastructure that 3.0 gives you or makes irrelevant. My suspicion is now that 3.0 has been great, out, stable and installed w/ 4.0 we’ll see more and more MVC-based FOSS apps.

My general inclination on “to cms or not to cms” these days revolves around how much one is updating and who is doing the updating. If you are the one handling the content, you might as well just update the HTML. But if it is your admin you might want some tooling. Umbraco is pretty nifty from what I’ve heard, but I’m already on the record as a crumudgen.

Umbraco is probably your best bet, it’s a great CMS on .NET (I’ve used the 4.x versions in numerous projects), their latest release (v5 Jupiter) is indeed running on MVC and the developers and community are working hard on making it completely bulletproof - and being open source, it’s even free. :o

Link to Umbraco v5: http://umbraco.com/umbraco-5-status.aspx and the community page for addons/discussions: [URL=“http://our.umbraco.org/”]http://our.umbraco.org/

Stay away from Kentico, product is good, support is bad.