New camera

after a long time i think i need a new camera…i had nikon coolpix before but i am really…like really really bored of it…i want something cool to capture special moments with an ease…suggest some cameras pls…

When I bought a new camera recently, I wasn’t sure what to choose. The advice I was given was to think about my current camera - which features did I like and which didn’t I like? Then to think about the kind of photographs I would use it for most - portraits, landscapes, whatever.

So what do you like about your Nikon Coolpix, and what is it that’s making you feel bored with it? What kind of photography do you do? If you can give us some details here, we might be able to suggest something suitable. Without more information from you, the thread is likely to turn into a simple list of cameras which other members use or like - and that’s not really any help to anybody.

A rough idea of your budget would also be helpful.

@TechnoBear; speaks wisely. That is excellent advice.

Off Topic:

Regardless of the specific camera you purchase, I highly recommend buying an Eye-Fi memory card for it.
I have had wonderful experience with the Eye-Fi (they offer a variety). What makes it so special is that it is a bit ‘smart’ for a memory card and has a small WiFi server built-in. So each time I take a photograph, that image is uploaded to several places on the web - that I have configured. The choices include Facebook, Google+, Picasa, Flickr.

Later, when I turn on my computer, the images are immediately downloaded to me locally.

Because it is that time of the year lots of websites are doing helpful reviews for either the end of the year wrap-up or Christmas buying. DPReview is a well respected authority on photography and they have a very helpful breakdown of different categories of camera and why you might choose one. Check it out here. I used this recently when trying to choose my new camera (which I’m anxiously awaiting arrival of).

Today there are various types of cameras available in the market mainly within these groups - point and shoot, dslr and bridge which is a point and shoot with advanced features like the dslr. It mainly depends on your exact requirements but if its just regular pictures at gatherings, parties or those one off trips then point and shoot is ok. Bridge can also be used as many of them have advanced zoom and option of RAW capture (which helps you post process images as per requirement). Advanced Zoom now many cameras have around 40-60X zoom and is really helpful if you are into bird / wild life photography. DSLR I would suggest only if you are quite comfortable with camera settings and wish to invest more money given the overall higher quality of output. Also you would need multiple lenses based on your requirement so that is another investment to consider. DSLR would be helpful if you are into professional photography or wish to print large sized outputs. Though DSLRs have good auto modes, manual settings make a huge difference in the overall quality of output. Now based on this you could shortlist a set of cameras and many review sites are out there to help you out. I take all reviews with a pinch of salt and I have seen that though some have criticized a particular camera for many applications that camera performs better or the other way round like they might have said good things about the camera but when in actual usage you come to know of their limitations. Try to look for actual user reviews and actual user pictures if you can find, for better evaluation and understanding about a specific camera model.

There are few questions that you must ask for yourself:

1. Your budget. This is the most important thing.

2. DSLR vs compact - are you passionate about photography and you need a DSLR, to make creative photos, with options that are easy to change? (aperture and exposure time at one click) OR you do most of your photos in AUTO mode? If you make all your photos in AUTO than a DSLR will only be a bigger camera (this will be issue, it’s big and heavy and you have to take care of it all the time. A small camera is way easy to carry).

2.1. If you get some DSLR, choose Nikon or Canon

• About the brand - I own a Nikon D7000 (it’s a DSLR) now, but if I had to choose again, I would pick a Canon, because of the cross-focus points. Nikon it’s a bit cheaper and has great features but only the center has cross-focus points.
    All other features are almost the same on both, even the image quality. Colors are a bit different but this can easy be corrected on post-processing.
    The only big difference is how you control your settings and how you get used to your camera.
    From this perspective, I like Nikon, it has good controls and very intuitive but maybe a Canon user will say the same about his camera.

• About glass (objectives) both, Canon and Nikon, have good glass (objectives) but you have to look after what photography type you’ll do and, what you’ll do next with your camera. Look into some Amazon prices, read about objectives and compare brand vs price. Objectives are also very important (in some cases, more important than the body).

2.2. If you get a compact, choose Canon. In my opinion, it’s the best.

This post is just my opinion, I don’t want to start a Canon-Nikon war.

It seems the OP has become bored with this thread, as well as their camera, as they have never returned.

Thanks to all those who contributed. There’s some useful information here for anybody else with the same question.

Thread closed.