New Design for Yahoo's Homepage

Yahoo today launched what some are calling a significant overhaul to its home page. Yahoo says the new home page is designed to help you stay on top of what is going on in your world, and on the rest of the planet.

Read the full new here

To be honest, design-wise it is better. The style of the design is more accessible.

The only thing I don’t like is the fact that navigation has these javascript popups. That is very annoying and not useful for me. Also, I would like to see MORE on the home page. I like this design, but like more content like the old design. So I am 50/50 on this.

This step by yahoo shows its growing insecurity between his tough and probably more powerful competitors. Just my 0.50 cents.

I like the improvements, its a lot more interactive, with better coloring, and
all sorts of widgets.

the javascript menu is very interesting. I like how you don’t have to click to get to a page in a sense

Design? What design? Still looks like the back end of a bus to me…

The javascripty thing isn’t so great either really, other old-school websites have integrated interactivity much better (bbc is one example)

I really am a fan of modern Javascript enhancements, if they enhance my use of a site. But in this case, the Javascript modal windows linked from each menu item are more than a little annoying to me. It’s completely overdone. I don’t like it. At all.

Yahoo, the past is calling. It wants its portals back.

I feel sorry for Yahoo!, they are always the bridesmaid and keep getting shiny new looks only to end up closing services rather than opening anything really exciting a new these days. I almost wish they could manage to pull off another decent purchase like they did with Flickr, because they could use the backbone :slight_smile:

I agree. If JavaScript is used for really modern and subtle enhancements then thats nice, just like the BBC Website. I was taken aback myself when I scrolled over a link to see the JavaScript modal window popup and I was just like…Ohh…Ok…Hi…Can you leave me alone now please?

Content wise, I wouldn’t say there is much. It’s jut links isn’t it? And when I say links I mean links that just have a name or word. Nothing is expanded at all. Give me information quickly, just like MSN does.

Overall, I’d say a 7 / 10. I also didn’t like the popup at the top saying how it was my new homepage :open_mouth: I freaked out and had to double-check that it wasn’t my actual new homepage. That would have lost them points dramatically if it did make it my homepage on visiting the Website. Maybe they should have worded it differently.

Andrew Cooper

in fact I usually use the google, the yahoo design I am not like it very much

The yahoo homepage design is very good for people who just want to see a lots of pictures and ads, while google if for those who really know about fast loading… simple… google loads faster that yahoo because theirs no image on it, images affects the loading of a webpage.

Yep that’s fine but I will still like Google. Yahoo is no where in competition with Google. Loading time is very slow for yahoo

Yes the change is always better as sometimes we bored by watching the same and same layout and new one is good but its very old news too.

Look pretty cool . But who uses Yahoo 0.0 ?
I use Yahoo answers sometimes , thats about it . What do you use yahoo for .
Ok I even use Flickr which is owned by yahoo .

All the icons look good on the site however like people have said, the JavaScript pop-up windows seem overdone, just scrolling mouse across the screen brings them up (with their noticeable loading times) even when you don’t want them up.

The AJAX on the image / web / video / etc search selection however I really like, think Google could take a lesson from Yahoo in this part of the site.

Some nice elements overall but still too much going on for me - I just want a search site.

Yahoo is striving hard to compete with Google, I guess it is a good step taken by yahoo. some late however never the Late