New domain extensions? do they help seo? Or just a sales gimmick?

Hi to all

Ok so todays question:

I have a construction website and my domain provider just emailed me today to say I can get a mysite.construction or mysite.contractors domain name.

Would this be smart? Or just another sales strategy for the domain people?

Any advice is appreciated.

I’d say the latter. Will probably cost a lot and be a waste of money, as we are still in a .com world. It’s up to you, though. One day it might be handy to have such a domain, but I suspect it will be a good while.

The search engines ignore the top level domain part of the domain name so which you use will make no difference whatever for SEO.

Wow great to hear. I really did not want to shell out a lot of money for all of these extensions.

Hi Ralph,

I wanted to ask you, I see your signature. Would you say that your signature helps seo? I have been worried to add a signature based on maybe Google will penalize my site.

What’s your thoughts, Thank you

I’d say signatures have no effect on SEO. The links are nofollow, meaning that search engines don’t factor them into their search rankings. Google certainly won’t penalize you for a signature, even if it’s a follow link. That would break the web. :slight_smile: The link might not help your rankings, but it’s a legitimate thing to do.

Basically, the only point of having a signature is that people might be interested in you and what you do. It’s like any kind of advertising, really. Internet Marketing is a LOT more than just SEO. (IMHO, SEO on its own is virtually useless.)

Signatures can definitely bring visitors to your site. It has nothing whatever to do with SEO though.

Apart from search engines, Sitepoint is one of the biggest referrer of those visiting my sites.

Most of those visitors will have clicked a signature link since the only time I ever post a link to my site within my post is on the rare occasion where the page directly relates to the question someone is asking.

SEO is never an end in itself. There’s no point having the search engines list you as number one for a whole series of keywords if few people ever click the links in the search results and if those who do click back straight away because the page isn’t what they are looking for. The desired end result is people visiting your site and then taking some action. SEO is just one way to try to get more people to visit.

I have managed to snap up websitedevelopment.tips today which I am quite pleased about and plan to use it for a blog. Naturally i wouldn’t have a chance in hell of grabbing a .com, .co.uk, net of that name so this is quite good as I have some great plans for this domain. provided of course teh entension doesnt get avused by spammers like say .info and .ws extensions did. And it wasnt expensive like some of the other extensions are.

excuse my spelling its way too early!