New Gmail Account and Tele No

When you set up a new Gmail account, Google asks for a Tele #.

Why do they do that?

Is the Tele # being used for “Two-Factor Authentication”?

I don’t know what else they use it for but yes it’s a part of the authentification process. I’ve lost my password a few times (or entered it in a few times incorrectly) and google gives your telephone as a way of authenticating yourself (text/call etc.)

I was asking because my “phone” is VOIP on my laptop, and I can’t receive Text Messages.

So what I’m getting at is, “Can you enter a Landline or Tele # that doesn’t receive Text Messages?”

I thought Google would call you and give you a code via voice, but I’m not sure.

Yeah I’m pretty sure Google can call you as an option (call or text) so you should be fine.

Do I have to specify that, or is Gmail smart enough to know to call me with a Verification Code since I can’t get Texts?

IIRC it will ask you if you want to receive it by voice or text.

Equally important, if I enter Tele No “A”, can I change it later on to Tele No “B”?

Yes you can always change it in your settings.

It will also periodically ask you if your information is up to date.

1 Like

The only thing you can’t change is your Google Username and Email, right?

Everything else (e.g. Password, Authentication Tele No, etc) should be updateable, right?

Everything can be updated :slight_smile: (except your e-mail and probably username.)

This very topic was discussed ~10 months ago. Maybe reading it will give you some answers.

I just signed up for a Gmail account and when I click “Verify” (Telephone No) it says it sent me an SMS.

:frowning:

Do you mean your Google GMail Email Address or your recovery email address? As you can update your recovery one.

No call option?

Maybe they got rid of it, or maybe it’s only for getting yoru account unlocked in case of potential hackers.

I clicked on “Create Google Account” - or whatever the wording was.

During the account creation process, it asked for a “Recovery Tele No”, so I entered a telephone number where I can receive calls but not texts.

After creating my Google Account - which includes a Gmail account - I clicked on “Check Security” or something and it had a red exclamation point next to the Tele No I entered before. next to it was a link “Verify Number”. When I did that, Google asked if I received an SMS message.

Based on what was said above, I was expecting a telephone call with some code.

This leads me to believe that if youc an’t get Text Messages then you are screwed as far as account recovery or setting up Two-Factor Authentication.

Am I missing something here?

Click on google email address on google.com > Account > Personal Info > Enter Recovery Email Address?

Maybe you only get the call feature after text-verified? Dunno. I think we all are just speaking from personal experience though.

I looked up some Google support pages and there doesn’t seem to be a mention of calling; only text messaging. Maybe they changed it.

This gets more strange.

I was able to set up Two-Factor Authentication via a computer voice message, but when I go into my account, it stills says “Number Not Verified”

(Somebody missed this process flow!)

Maybe if I claimed I lost my password and had them call me I could get rid of that red mark, but who knows.

Hopefully the Recovery Tele No will work if I ever need it?!

I don’t know what else they use it for

:mag_right: Spying!

1 Like

I’m not worried - I gave them Ryan’s home telephone number instead! :laughing:

1 Like