New line

This all makes sense now. I did not know you could change the view-scoure like that.

I apologise for causing confusion :blush:

and I most definatley know what escape characters are, but since I was only reading the HTML, my brain was thinking only in HTML and in HTML there are no escape characters.

However when HTML is be written or is in js or php, escape characters must be used so that said character is not confused as a part of the js/php, but regonised as part of the HTML right?

Thanks for helping me learn :slight_smile:

and I most definatley know what escape characters are, but since I was only reading the HTML, my brain was thinking only in HTML and in HTML there are no escape characters.

Yeah, we figured : ) And Debbie’s very first post wasn’t quite so clear… it got clearer as the thread went on.

However when HTML is be written or is in js or php, escape characters must be used so that said character is not confused as a part of the js/php, but regonised as part of the HTML right?

If and only if the \ in that language has special meaning otherwise.

In Perl, \ has special meaning, but not always: using single quotes in printing may tell Perl to see it exactly as a \ character and nothing special, for example (do not interpolate).

print ‘some text with a \ shows the \’;
shows
some text with a \ shows the \

So it depends on the language and when that language is interpolating the \ (meaning, it needs \ to escape special characters).

yeah, I started reading the entire thread and everything is making more sense.

Also, I started learning Perl last summer and I didn’t know about / in Perl. I guess that means I have not had a problems with it so far and if I do then it’s for the perl folks

Also, I started learning Perl last summer and I didn’t know about / in Perl.

That forward slash / usually means “bracket for a regular expression” (also in Javascript and other languages).

The back slash \ is used for escaping characters.

Perl will likely let you know if you are getting into trouble with \'s or /'s : )

In HTML/XHTML the
is not required as the </p> will automatically break the line and also we use <br> tag all are same.but <br></p> tag only use in scripting language./n new line character use all types of languages like C,C++,java etc. So <p> <br> is best suited fir html.keep it up…

Off Topic:

(Thanks for the information and taking the time to post but in future please read the whole thread (especially post #18) before posting as these issues have been covered and were not actually the main topic in hand - which I guess you missed. :))

Off Topic:

Refer to post #26 and post #1 and you’ll realise the problem has been solved and was to do with PHP.