New members, we seek your help

Simple question, if you wanted to contact a Staff member but couldn’t because you are still Trust Level 0 and can’t, and you didn’t realize you could do it in your Welcome PM …

Where would you expect to see a Contact Staff by PM that you could use?

The question doesn’t make sense to me. Am I using the correct acronym? “Where would you expect to see a Contact Staff by Personal Message that you could use?”

You are.

Members who were “imported” from vBulletin, like yourself, started out here at Trust Level 1, so you won’t ever have experienced this, but new members who sign up here start out at TL0. Among other things, this means they cannot initiate a PM (although they can reply if somebody sends them one) and they can’t use the flag system. (No “Private Message” buttons or flag icons are visible to TL0 members.)

For example: you’re a brand new member, you’ve just posted your first topic - and you’ve just realised you accidentally posted it in the wrong category. (All too easy to do.) How do you contact a staff member to ask them to move it? (And apologise, if you’re the timid type who worries about breaking forum guidelines.) Any other member could just flag the post for moderator attention, but that’s not an option.

So, supposing there was a facility to allow TL0 member to PM staff only, where would you expect to find that button?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to just allow T0 users to flag posts?

Alternatively, I think I would just reply to my welcome message, especially if it says to let them know if you have any problems.

Probably - but I think that’s a Discourse decision and SitePoint has no control over it.

[quote=“RT_, post:4, topic:107955”]
Alternatively, I think I would just reply to my welcome message, especially if it says to let them know if you have any problems.
[/quote]Some members do indeed do that. But that message comes in HAWK’s name, and replies go to her. What if you want to contact a specific member of staff?

Perhaps I’ve replied to your topic. There’s something you want to post that you feel will help explain the issue, but you’re worried it might be against forum policy for some reason. So you want to PM me first and ask me to check if it’s OK before posting it publicly. You could ask HAWK, but if you’re already discussing the issues with me, and you know I’m on-line, it makes more sense to contact me directly.

I would expect to see the button next to the reply button at the bottom of the thread

1 Like

I agree, near the bottom of the thread. And another in the footer somewhere.

Edit: Wait, is it just me or is there no footer period?

:laughing: Not just you. With “endless scrolling” for some pages it can take a while to get to the “end”

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.