New to SSI

Because I have a limited knowledge of HTML, I have been asked to help redesign a club website

It has 42 pages all of which have the same top 2/3rd with different content in the bottom third.

I have been told that the best way to structure this is with SSI. Is it ?

And whilst I have read loads on the internet of how to link the pages, I just cannot grasp the starting pont.

I suspect that I should save the “basic page” as includes.shtml and then somehow link each bottom page to that, but I cannot get it.

If I may quote a page without any advertising of course, it’s www.c5d.co.uk/notwitter.htm

All of the black area is one page. Each of the 42 pages have different content on the grey bit.

Is it practical ? If not what should I do and how would I do it ?

Thanks for reading

Antony

Hi certificates. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

If this is a static site, then yes, “includes” are a really good idea, as they allow you to edit that content in once place only. They are actually very easy to do (even for a simpleton like me). I would recommend using PHP. Here is a very simple (hopefully!) explanation of how to use PHP includes that I wrote a while back:

See id that makes any sense. :slight_smile:

Thanks very much.

The instructions were simple, precise and worked to a tee.

The one bit I didn’t understand was the bit about the ht access file.

I’ll google a bit more.

My efforts are at www.c5d.co.uk/test.php

Thanks

Antony

Glad it was of some use. You shouldn’t need to worry about .htaccess files if you are using .php file extensions.