New to Wordpress theming

Hi everyone,

I’m fairly new to Wordpress and totally new to creating my own themes. I would like to create a site using Wordpress as a CMS not a blog, and have a fixed height for the entire site. What I’m thinking is a fixed height div in the middle of the screen, and if there is a scrollbar, it has to be inside the div, not the entire window.

Could you help me confirm if this is even possible?

Thanks!

Yes that is possible, you will need to edit the CSS and some code in header.php and maybe footer.php. I would ask a question in the CSS form here about that. They’d need a link, the CSS and the header.php code.

WordPress is really easy to use, I recommend you use another theme, like a base-theme, there is the “stalkers” theme which is a good starting point. There is an amazing tutorial Wordpress in 18 days by Jeff Way (actually worked on the Sitepoint’s Wicked WordPress Themes books), which is amazing, but most of it is fairly straight forward. I’d be honest, most of my learning was done online and through trial and error, so I did not go through the book that much, prefer to learn on experience.

WordPress can pretty much do anything, it just takes a little searching sometimes. :slight_smile: GOOD LUCK!

It is indeed possible, but… a fixed height layout? I can’t think of any scenario where this would make for good practice.

Reminded me of “sites” that are essentially a flash thing.

Right you are. I didn’t think of Flash sites.

Where can I find this tutorial? Tried googling it but didnt come up with anything.

I learned through videos, you will get your base understanding from there,

Try:

WordPress is 18 Days - http://blog.themeforest.net/wordpress/wordpress-for-designers-day-18/
http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/converting-a-design-from-psd-to-html/

The WP book by SitePoint is available on the Sitepoint store, google sitepoint books and you will find it.

I strongly suggest, even though I haven’t to subscribe to the Tuts+ tutorials. You won’t regret it as they are the best videos out there and they’re very cost effective in comparison to some of the other tutorials out there. Once you got your base understanding from these videos and you actually learn by example (a real life project), then you can use codex to fill in some of the blanks. Take a look at the codex there and you’d be already.

Wish you the best of luck and happy WP’sing!