Newly Taken Over Project - Asking Permission for An Image Already In Use

Good Morning All

I have recently begun to work for a new client. The client is a non profit research project.

The previous web developer added an image from a well know photo studio without copyright permission and this image is currently used on the website.

I have advised the academics working on the project that we will need to obtain permission, I just wanted to ask some advice first.

Should I take the image down before contacting the company? Or should I keep the image on there an explain the situation honestly? This is my first time dealing with this issue so i just wanted to take some advice and wasn’t sure if there was a risk of a retrospective charge?

The academics would like everything to be conducted in the right way.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I would take the image down temporary then contact the photo studio, explain what happen, most likely they will be understanding that you walked into the problem and will grant you permission to use the picture. If they grant you permission get it in writing. If they don’t then just look for another picture that you have or can get permission to put up it in its place.

1 Like

Hi Pepster

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. We fill follow the procedure exactly as you say.

That is much appreciated.

Thanks again

Hi All

Sorry for last question to follow up on. We’ve google searched for images labelled for non commercial reuse. We have found an ideal image that is only used on one website. We can’t seem to double check if the image is indeed labelled for non commercial reuse.

Would the only way forward here be to email the website and wait for a reply?

I would think that’s the best you could do.

Have you tried http://pixabay.com/?

Pixabay - a repository for stunning public domain pictures. Your source for free vectors, free drawings and free photos. You can use any Pixabay image without attribution in digital and printed form, even for commercial applications.

I mostly use my own photographs, but I have used a couple from there.

Thank you tecnobear

I’ve emailed them, lets see what they say.

Thanks again

There are lots of sites offering free imagery these days, and really nice-quality stuff, too, so all is not lost if this one falls through. Then, of course, there are the images you pay for, and they tend to be quite inexpensive, too.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.