News feeds as content

Personally, I don’t like visit sites that just post up news feeds and no original content. It’s boring and I can get it elsewhere.

Automagic. I’m taking that word, thank you.

Anyway, if you want to type something about current events from news sites, I think it would be a better idea if you created content based on what was written on that big site. Write some sort of an opinion on the currents events that you want to point out, and poof! You have your very own content. About those quotes, just follow what Shyflower said, just to be safe. The best thing that you can do is to share a link to the news that you’re talking about.

Hey,
i dont believe in news feeds. this is why i dont use them.
but i heard from others, that it can help and contribute to the site.

i recommend you to try, if you know how and have the time for that.

Panda pounded sites using feeds to propagate their content. It will do you no good in terms of the search engines and will likely get you severely penalized. There are very few aggregator sites that are successful. The only one that comes to mind that is successful is the Drudge Report. It’s success is due to so many people linking to it, though.

As Shyflower points out, it is perfectly acceptable to use someone else’s story as the basis of your own or to briefly summarize their story and interject your own take or opinion on it. You most definitely want to provide a link to the original story, though, even if it is a no-follow link.

Here is a great rule to follow - if your content sucks so that you wouldn’t really be interested in reading it, neither will anyone else.

Rule 2 - if it’s really easy for you to do, so are 1 billion other people. Your site full of just RSS feeds is a fart in the wind of SEO.

Start learning how to build something someone wants. On the Internet, too many are gullible and hear success stories that are total lies. If you want to summarize news articles, that has some value added value. Copying and pasting does not.

I would not recommend using RSS feeds to auto populate content. I have tried it in the past and have run into problems at times where some stuff was posted via the feed that did not align with my clients values or goals. It’s better to just create a sound content strategy and calendar and stick to it.

I believe that is the best reason I have ever read against news feeds and other automated text. It’s important to remember that not all visitors to your site are new visitors and best not to lose what you’ve got to take a chance on getting more. Just like the adage… a bird in the hand…

I use feeds from the BBC because it looked like a fun thing to have a go at. Also, my site is live but my content doesn’t change much so I use it to show my site is constantly updating.