No border in submenu

Hi

I am working on a menu for a new website (my testpage www.adoremus.info/index2.php) and as you can see if you hover over the submenu, the blue color goes all the way out to the edge, but I want a small border around it.

This is my entire css-code as it look today:

* {padding: 0; margin: 0;}

/* Main Menu*/
nav {margin-top: 10px;}
nav ul {list-style: none; background: #999; border-radius: 5px; padding: 0 5px;}
nav ul:after {content: '.'; clear: both; visibility: hidden; display: block; height: 0px;}
nav ul li {float: left; position: relative; line-height: 20px;}
nav ul li a {display: block; color: #fff; font-weight: bold; font-size: 16px; text-decoration: none; padding: 14px 15px 15px;
	transition: all 0.3s ease-in-out; -webkit-transition: all 0.3s ease-in-out; -moz-transition: all 0.3s ease-in-out; -ms-transition: all 0.3s ease-in-out; -o-transition: all 0.3s ease-in-out;}
nav ul li:hover {background: #3498DB;}
nav ul li.active {background: #3498D9;}

/*Sub Menu*/
nav ul li > ul:before{
	content: "";
	border-style: solid; border-width: 0 9px 9px 9px; border-color: transparent transparent black transparent;
	width: 0;
	height: 0;
	position: absolute;
	left: 15px;
	top: 5px;
}

nav ul li > ul {position: absolute; left: 14px; top: 95%; padding-top: 13px; background: none; width: 150px;}
nav ul li > ul li:first-child {border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0;}
nav ul li > ul li:last-child {border-radius: 0 0 10px 10px;}
nav ul li > ul li {padding: 10px; background: #999; width: 100%;}
nav ul li > ul li a {display: block; padding: 6px 9px; font-size: 14px; border-radius: 2px;}
nav ul li > ul li:hover {background: #3498DB;}
nav ul li > ul li.active {background: #000;}

/*Sub Sub Menu*/
nav ul li > ul li > ul {top: 0; left: 100%; padding 0; padding-left: 13px;}

I cannot find where the error is, do you have any good ideas?

Thanks
Kind Regards

Hi Adoremus.info. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

It’s not clear where you want the border, but you haven’t attempted to add one at this stage. There is a border on the pseudo element which is used to make the upward pointing black arrow, which is working.

Hi, adoremus,

As Ralph said, it’s not clear where you want the border.

If you want the border on the individual list items, you could add a transparent border to all of them then code the :hover and/or active list items with the desired border color. Something like this:

nav ul li {float: left; position: relative; line-height: 20px; [color=blue]border:1px solid transparent;[/color]}
nav ul li:hover {background: #3498DB;[color=blue]border:1px solid red;[/color]}

Hi

Thanks for the quick answers guys, and I’m sorry, both for the late reply and for being difuse in the original post.

I am following this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YqLl-BXRp8, to see that I understand it all before I do it on my own.
But as you can see in the clip he has a frame around the whole submenu, on the submenu on my testpage, this border is missing, but I can’t find any mayor diffrences between our codes.

So I want a frame around the whole menu and not around the individual menuitems.

I hope it’s more clear now.

Kind Regards

That tutorial is using CSS3

Does the browser you’re using to test support all the required CSS3?

Yes I am using Firefox 25.0.1 and the fadingeffects work in my browser.

The example in the video doesn’t place a border around the UL. Rather, it puts padding on the LIs to keep them away from the edges of the UL.

That is correct ralph.m, so the question should not be why I can’t get the border working, it should be where do I add the padding for the same effect as in the clip?
I have tried to add padding on all kinds of places without getting it to work.

So which line should I ad it to and how should it look like?

Kind Regards

You already have the padding on the LIs. But instead of putting the hover background color on the LI, you should put it on the A. So, change this

nav ul li > ul li:hover {
background: #3498DB;
}

to this

nav ul li > ul li [COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR]:hover {
}

It still dosen’t work, if you place the mouse over one submenu the blue is still going all the way out to the border.
But if you move the pointer to another submenu you can see that there is a smaller border around the link that you just left.

Kind Regards

You haven’t done exactly what Ralph suggested as you still have the hover rule in place for the list item.:slight_smile:

#container ul li:hover {
}

Remove that rule and only the anchor will changer color.

Sorry, I forgot to post the new code:

/*Sub Menu*/
#container ul li > ul:before{
	content: "";
	border-style: solid; border-width: 0 9px 9px 9px; border-color: transparent transparent black transparent;
	width: 0;
	height: 0;
	position: absolute;
	left: 15px;
	top: 5px;
}

#container ul li > ul { position: absolute; left: 14px; top: 80%; padding-top: 13px; background: none; width: 150px;z-index: -99999; opacity: 0;
	-webkit-transition: all 0.3s ease-out;
	-moz-transition: all 0.3s ease-out;
	-ms-transition: all 0.3s ease-out;
	-o-transition: all 0.3s ease-out;
	transition: all 0.3s ease-out; }
#container ul li:hover > ul {display: block; z-index: 100; opacity: 1; top: 95%; visibility: visible;}

#container ul li > ul li:first-child {border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0;}
#container ul li > ul li:last-child {border-radius: 0 0 10px 10px;}
#container ul li > ul li {padding: 10px; background: #000; width: 100%;}
#container ul li > ul li a {display: block; padding: 6px 9px; font-size: 14px; border-radius: 2px;}
#container ul li > ul li a:hover { background: #3498DB; }
#container ul li > ul li.active {background: #000;}

I copied his code so it should be correct, but it still don’t work.

Kind Regards

I was a little bit hasty in reading your post Paul and missunderstood it.

I made the changes you suggested and now it works perfectly.

Thanks you guys for all the help and I will probably see you again soon.

Kind Regards