No-coding web creation software question

I have the opportunity to develop some simple web sites for a local company. I am looking for some software I can use to do this without using coding. I looked at the interface with Squarespace and I like it, but I noticed thy start charging for using the software after 114 days. I don’t think I can use it to update the websites after w weeks. I’d like to have some software I can put on my computer if possible. I’m looking in to coffee Cup visual developer, but I haven’t installed it yet. If anyone has some good suggestions I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks,

Hi congaman59. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Building a website without knowing code is a bit like building a car without knowing about how cars work. Anyhow, there are tools for doing this, so just sayin’. :slight_smile: There are plenty of programs like Dreamweaver that have what’s called a WYSIWYG editor (which stands for ‘what you see is what you get’). They don’t produce great code, but you can certainly produce a website with them.

I don’t really understand what you mean about Squarespace. Anyhow, there are other services like that, such as Business Catalyst and [URL=“http://www.webvanta.com/”]Webvanta. But there are also free versions of these, such as [URL=“http://www.weebly.com/”]Weebly.

Yeah. Like Ralph, you’re looking for a WYSIWYG editor. I’m hesitant to recommend a good one because I, personally, really don’t like them. They produce bad code, they advertise themselves on your own website (which is what you get, really - U c wat I did dare? “what you get” yeah? yeah? :D).

I know that one good one for Mac is iWeb…have never used it, but a friend raves about it. Also, like Ralph mentioned, a site that builds it for you online is Weebly. As a Google fanboy, I’d recommend Google’s Sites which is the same service…just Google!

There’re also templates that you can buy - meaning sites have pre-made websites w/ no content. You buy the template, get the code, and then input your text. Feel free to post the template/code onto here and we’ll help you fill it in if you’re utterly lost in the mayhem of all of the < and > signs.

~TehYoyo

[ot]So the story behind iWeb…

I recently did a school project and my friend comes up to me (who was also my partner in the project). I had already told him that I would make the site. He’s like “Hey, [TehYoyo] Y’know, there’s this really great program (I scoff) that makes a website for you. It’s called iWeb. I can make the website, if you want. :slight_smile: It’s really easy.”

And I was like lolno.
[/ot]

I’ve also heard of NetObjects. (Not sure why I am recommending this stuff, but meh …)

Off Topic:

You wonderful person, you

I think we’d all like to emphasize just how terrible we all think WYSIWYG editors are.

~TehYoyo

Not knowing any better, I started with a WYSIWYG editor for my first site. I found it really hard to get things right on screen. One day, I accidentally discovered that you could actually edit the code directly, and it was so much easier, I was hooked. Yes, editing code is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get things working with WYSIWYG, despite appearances. :slight_smile:

Ironic, isn’t it?

~TehYoyo

I started with Netscape Navigators WYSIWYG as an editor and then would change something, look at the source code to see what changed. Or changed the code to see what changed on the page. It’s a great place to start.

Dreamweaver is a good one I started with letting you see the code as well as a graphical editor.
Adobe has Project Muse in beta and is free for now, but limited in features so far.
Microsoft has Expression Web suite.

All have a free trial which will give you some time to play with it. All have a little learning curve as well but there are many online resources like Sitepoint to help you :slight_smile:

The problem is that I don’t have a lot of time to learn code. Plus I’m not really a big detail person. I l know with code is you leave out me keystroke on the code lines you don’t get the result your want. I took an HTML class at a local community college, and it about drove me crazy! I understand that code is more flexible accurate, but for now it is the learning curve that’s the problem. I need to be able to create a website in about a week. That doesn’t allow much time to learn HTML, ajax, photoshop, fireworks, and flash. I need a shortcut even is it isn’t the best way to proceed.

Now what I meant about Squarespace. They have a website building capability. However after 2 weeks you have to pay them a hosting fee to use the product.

OK, well there are lots of other suggestions offered above. Perhaps give Weebly a go. I know several people who love it, and it’s free.

With a WYSIWYG editor, you don’t need/probably won’t be able to program ajax. And also Photoshop, fireworks, and flash aren’t necessary for HTML and CSS - but I get what you mean. Have you considered hiring someone?

I’d use Weebly, as mentioned or a template. They’re the easiest - some editors are hard to use.

~TehYoyo

Is the client aware of your web development incompetence (cheap services) or are you leading them on to know more than you actually do? If the former than cool – you get what you pay for. If the latter than all I can say is I don’t help hacks and lying will eventually catch up with you. None the less, it goes against everything I believe in regards to professional web development to recommend any WYSIWYG editor.

Looks for +1 or like button

I really think you should be honest with this company and admit that you don’t know how to build a website, and tell them to find someone who does know.

If I get asked to do some work that I have no idea about, I do not accept the job.

If you wish to build web sites for money or even for free, first learn how to do this in your spare time for several months, and once you’ve learned and can sort all problems that arise, then consider making one for someone else.

I am new to programming and the first lesson I learned for sure is that wysiwyg editors are really poor substitutes for good clean code and they will cause you alot of problems.

Which is probably one of the more important lessons, I’d venture to say. :slight_smile:

~TehYoyo