"Nobody is born knowing how to program."

Learning to program I was probably close to 18/19ish. I was playing around with HTML and stuff, getting the feel for how computers think, when I was 14/15.

I get what they are saying, but I think it’s somewhat wrong. Not everyone can program and not everyone who can program will be able to program well. It takes a certain mentality to do it. Your brain has to be able to think in certain ways and to break down problems in certain ways and it has nothing to do with intelligence (though you do need some).

Some people just can’t do it. Personally, I could never be a Doctor or a Nurse or Vet or anything like that. My brain just does not work that way and no amount of training could get it to. Sure, I could probably work hard and get by enough to graduate… But I would never be good at it. I’m OK with this.

Some people can’t draw and never will be able to. Some people can’t cook and will never be able to. Some people can’t program and will never be able to.

I haven’t listened to this podcast yet, but it bothers me when I see things like “I just need someone smart and motivated. I can teach anyone to program.” The hell you can. It comes easy to some people, others it doesn’t come at all. I think people forget that or want to deny it sometimes. But people are different and that’s OK.

3 Likes