Non-editorial iPad imagery

Anyone know where you can find non-editorial use only images of iPads? I have seen it done on TONS of websites (ie http://www.inkling.com/ and http://www.mobilefontfonts.com/) yet I cannot find an iPad image anywhere that is not editorial use only.

Are these sites illegally using the images or am I just not finding the right source for these images?

Try to find on Apple.com site itself, there’s a portion on their site where downloadable images can be used by media and partners.

Those are all editorial use only. Is every website that puts an iPad on their home page breaking licensing?

I don’t think so. IMO, As long as you put “Image courtesy of Apple Inc.”, I think it’s ok. Just don’t edit it to much that it won’t look like an altered iPad. Check out this tablets related site www.moretablet.com, it’s using image of iPad.

The usage on the example website you provided is proper editorial use - it is in a news item, blog post, etc. The sites I am linking to use images on a marketing website in a manner to promote a product or service - that is not editorial use.

If the case is for marketing purposes, then you better contact people concerned at Apple, they have support team that handles this matter.

Can you take a picture on your own? Maybe hire a friend w/ a camera to do it? Edit: Or ask nicely?

~TehYoyo

Anyone have any insight into this? How are so many sites using Apple product photography to market their own product/service when this is clearly not allowed by any photography license? I know the websites using these images did not take the photos themselves.

If you try to download an image from the official Apple website, you get:

[h=4]Usage Agreement[/h] Subject to the terms of this Agreement, you may use the Image solely in whole for editorial use by press and/or industry analysts. This right to use is personal to you and is not transferable by you to another party. The Image cannot be used to promote or sell any product or technology (such as on advertising, brochures, book-covers, stock photos, t-shirts, or other promotional merchandise). You may not alter, or modify the Image, in whole or in part, for any reason.

As between you and Apple, Apple is and shall remain the sole and exclusive owner of the Image. You will not delete, alter, or obfuscate any proprietary legends relating to the Image, and each use will be accompanied by the applicable proprietary attribution shown next to the Image.

Go onto istock, corbis, any stock photo website and every Apple product photo explicitly says “Editorial Use”.

Am I just getting all weird over something, while although technically not legal, nobody really cares about and just ignores?

You can get tons of iPad GUIs. Do a search on “iPad GUI kit” or “iPad GUI PSD download” or some such and you’ll get plenty results of 1:1 replications of the iPad that are free to use in commercial projects. Here’s one resource (though you’ll need to check which of these allow commercial usage).

Those are fake iPad GUIs. The example sites are using real Apple device imagery. I want to know how this is allow or where they could have gotten them? Another site is www.jigoshop.com. Clearly real Apple product imagery.

One of the iPad kits (http://kevinandersson.deviantart.com/art/Apple-iPad-Fully-editable-PSD-152146899) does not have any license restrictions but I still wonder if Apple would eventually say “This is clearly a ripoff of our product design, please take that down”. Then again, there are so many sites out there that have these images on them it feels like they just don’t really care all that much.

They’re kits, so of course they’d be fake. :confused:

Anyway, have you tried stock sites? http://www.istockphoto.com/search/text/ipad/source/basic#4c9a6c5

These image links all contain the warning that they are for “Editorial use only”. This is the core of the issue that the poster is trying to address.

Personally I’d just grab a camera and take my own photo. Alternatively you could find some artwork that is vector or a 3d model which isn’t then technically an actual Apple device (which seems to be the issue).

Personally I don’t understand why companies don’t make their product shots available, it isn’t like too many people are going to be using them to sell fake products. And if they’re selling legitimate iPhones/iPads then as a company owner I want them to look as good as possible! Get that image out there! But instead we waste time on forums worrying about these things because we want to do the right thing…

I worked for a large international company who didn’t even provide product shots for their own products for advertising or promotions! Don’t ask me why but I can tell you that the range of product shots varied immensely and not all of them were complimentary to the brand!

Yes, that seems like the sensible thing to do.